Best Practices for denying water leaks at Girard Awning to coach attachments

Posted (edited)

Can I get y’all’s opinion on the best way to protect from delamination of my side walls from water leaking at my Girard awning locations (or any roof location). It appears the black strip used to make a seam attaching my Girard to the body of the roof is rotting and has caused some minor delaminating underneath the awning. 
Im not sure what the black strip is called and where to procure it. That would be Step 1, but what are other products you use on your roof and the roof line/roof sides to prevent water damage and keep it protected down the line?

I know roof maintenance is essential and going forward, I’ll be taking it much more seriously. Therefore, I’m looking to armor plate my roof and everything that attaches to it and it’s sides. What products should I have on a revolving order on Amazon ?

So . . . . . what is that black strip called and where can I purchase it?  And what other products do you think are best and essential for protecting the roof and everything else up there on top and the side of roof?

I want this thing WATERPROOFED!!!

I know this was long but THANKS for the help!

Keith

Edited by Keith H.
Grammer correction

7 hours ago, Keith H. said:

Can I get y’all’s opinion on the best way to protect from delamination of my side walls from water leaking at my Girard awning locations (or any roof location). It appears the black strip used to make a seam attaching my Girard to the body of the roof is rotting and has caused some minor delaminating underneath the awning. 
Im not sure what the black strip is called and where to procure it. That would be Step 1, but what are other products you use on your roof and the roof line/roof sides to prevent water damage and keep it protected down the line?

I know roof maintenance is essential and going forward, I’ll be taking it much more seriously. Therefore, I’m looking to armor plate my roof and everything that attaches to it and it’s sides. What products should I have on a revolving order on Amazon ?

So . . . . . what is that black strip called and where can I purchase it?  And what other products do you think are best and essential for protecting the roof and everything else up there on top and the side of roof?

I want this thing WATERPROOFED!!!

I know this was long but THANKS for the help!

Keith

You said 'it's rotting'??   

I'm thinking your talking about the belt line, but it can't rot.  Post some pictures.  

Posted (edited)

I think he is referring to the rubber seal between the big Girard and the side of the coach.  I tried a couple of things but the best so far (several years now) is Rustoleum?  Bed Liner available at Advance Auto in Quarts.  A couple of coats...the other option is to find that seal material loosen the awning and try to replace, however the bolts that secure my awning only have a couple fo threads showing so that may not even be possible, making dropping the awning.  Sealing the rubber above seems way better solution IMHO.

Edited by Twomed
ad on

Hi Keith,

here is how I solved the problem.

3 1/2 years later, it is still working well, and I would do the same thing again.

Paul