Has anyone installed a fireplace?

Pduggs

My Squire has a void under the TV in the living room, that could hold a fireplace. Monaco may have offered a fireplace on my model, but I’m not aware of it. The wife would love one, as we always had one in the S&B. I see online several units designed for RVs. I’d like to install one, but am concerned about electrical usage. The ones I’ve seen claim they use 15amps. This seems a bit low, but I’m no expert. Do I need to be careful what circuit I wire it to, as I don’t want to overload it?

This one looks nice. 
https://www.recpro.com/appliances/fireplaces/26-electric-rv-fireplace-curved-glass/

Edited by pduggs87@gmail.com

Definitively your 110 connection should be a dedicated wiring with a breaker. Monaco used to wired the coach for many options, the connections may be there.

Are you going to do it yourself? www.WooddesignRV.com does a beautiful job.

I thought I would do it myself, but I’m no electrician.  

Running romex wire from mid-ship to my electrical panel above driver’s seat, could be a difficult job.  I’m not sure how that could be accomplished.  

Paul,

Mike hughes  removed one of his couches and built a new computer work station.  He has a fireplace under it and it looks good.  I think he posted some information/pictures here on 'modifications' thread.  He's also posted at IRV2.    I saw it at Quartzsite last year in person.

• Thanks 1

Guest Tim503

15 amps times 120 volts is 1800 watts. That is basically the max that all electrical appliances use, including big vacuums, convection ovens, microwaves, space heaters even power saws and air compressors even your A/C units. They have a 80% use for safety. The circuit breaker is most likely 20 amp using #12 wire. Some homes wire a 15 amp breaker with #14 wire but not in my rig. It is all 12 awg and 20 amp. Don't wire anything special as the panel is full just find a circuit not being used much, if at all, and get a heavy duty extension cord at least 14 awg and check it out. Amazon sells kill-a-watt type meters for around $10. I did have a circuit under the sink for an optional dishwasher that shared a main breaker with the optional washer dryer which I had. That a/b switch was in the cupboard by the fridge. Otherwise the kitchen has 2 circuits.

27 minutes ago, Tim503 said:

15 amps times 120 volts is 1800 watts. That is basically the max that all electrical appliances use, including big vacuums, convection ovens, microwaves, space heaters even power saws and air compressors even your A/C units. They have a 80% use for safety. The circuit breaker is most likely 20 amp using #12 wire. Some homes wire a 15 amp breaker with #14 wire but not in my rig. It is all 12 awg and 20 amp. Don't wire anything special as the panel is full just find a circuit not being used much, if at all, and get a heavy duty extension cord at least 14 awg and check it out. Amazon sells kill-a-watt type meters for around $10. I did have a circuit under the sink for an optional dishwasher that shared a main breaker with the optional washer dryer which I had. That a/b switch was in the cupboard by the fridge. Otherwise the kitchen has 2 circuits.

Thank you. I’d hoped someone with knowledge would post. I’ll do exactly as you advise. 

Take a look at the wiring diagrams for your 2008 Dynasty in the downloads files section.  There are wiring schematics for how the fireplace option is wired to the panel and how it was wired in the slideout including a micro switch and relay to prevent it from operating when the slide is in.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Frank McElroy said:

Take a looked at the wiring diagrams for your 2008 Dynasty in the downloads files section.  There wiring schematics for how the fireplace option is wired to the panel and how it was wired in the slideout including a micro switch and relay to prevent it from operating when the slide is in.

Oh yes!  Great idea. Thanks. 

Our last MH (a 2001 Residency) came with a fireplace made by Dimplex.  Our current 2004 Trek came prewired for one below the TV.  You might want to poke around to see if there's an outlet around that compartment you're thinking of using.  We loved ours and got more use out of it than any other appliance in the MH.

https://www.dimplex.com/en/ 

• Thanks 1

Guest Tim503

One thing I should have mentioned is the majority of the plugs come off the inverter panel so if you are not plugged in or using the generator the batteries will draw down quick. Using the light and motor should not be a big draw but don't use the heat function unless plugged in just like you shouldn't use a space heater on the batteries. You need to use the propane furnace.