noisy generator

1 minute ago, Dr4Film said:

Jim, I haven't replaced the muffler on our 2002 Onan 7.5K Quiet Diesel generator plus it has almost 1500 hours on it now. It doesn't sound any different now than it did many hours ago.

Thanks for the data point, Richard. Noise level is pretty subjective; it could just be our imagination.

We are about to start our solar installation, so hopefully we won't be running the gennie as much in the future.

Jim

We 4400 hours on ours and no muffler replace.

Sometimes think it is a little noise but it varies with load.

Just had a major service in Feb this year and asked the tech about noise (I am like you) think it is a little noise than when new but he said the muffler was still in good shape.  

I have thought on occasion to see if there is an after market muffler but have never looked into it.

Ron

1 minute ago, allphase8 said:

Jim

We 4400 hours on ours and no muffler replace.

Sometimes think it is a little noise but it varies with load.

Just had a major service in Feb this year and asked the tech about noise (I am like you) think it is a little noise than when new but he said the muffler was still in good shape.  

I have thought on occasion to see if there is an after market muffler but have never looked into it.

Ron

Good to hear, Ron, thanks. I think we will ignore it.

See you soon!

Jim

We use the generator a lot while traveling especially when it is TOO hot & humid and it doesn't bother us at all. But we will have the dash AC blowing and the front roof AC running so may be those are drowning out the generator noise. Many times I will forget to turn off the generator after using it at a rest stop but never hear it. When I look over at the generator button and see the light still lit up that's when I realize that it is still on and running.

I had a noisy generator and it turned out to be worn out motor mounts.   The tech at Onan told me if the oil drain is below the case at all the mounts are worn sending excess vibration through the housing.   Swapping out the mounts in mine made a huge difference.

19 minutes ago, pcpronze said:

I had a noisy generator and it turned out to be worn out motor mounts.   The tech at Onan told me if the oil drain is below the case at all the mounts are worn sending excess vibration through the housing.   Swapping out the mounts in mine made a huge difference.

Thanks Paul, I'll check that out. I wondered about the motor mounts but didn't know how to determine if they were worn. Are they difficult to replace?