Anyone know what this is

Changing oil in my 2002 Windsor ISC Cummins engine and noticed two 3/4 inch tubes (one tube on each side of oil filter) One tube comes to this device and the other ends about half way down beside the engine. I think it is some type of container for my slobber tube but I have 2 tubes and thought there should only be one slobber tube.

image.jpeg

The single Slobber Tube on my 2002 Windsor ISC is located on the driver's side of the engine which hangs down just to the front of the Monaco Mud Flap.

Where is this device specifically located so I can see if I have one also. I don't recognize it at all.

Edited by Dr4Film

10 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Maybe a catch can that someone added to hold the puke oil that would end up on the ground and your toad otherwise?

Ivan & Larry,

I have one of those "catch cans" for the Slobber Tube basically in that same area but you would never have two hoses, only the one going into the can. Makes no sense to have two hoses unless the one hose is the "breather" so it has to be up higher than the can otherwise if the can fills up it will flow out the second hose onto the ground. My catch can has a filter breather at the top so it only has one hose.

Plus there has to be a way to drain the buildup of oil inside the can.

Edited by Dr4Film

Slobber catch can comes in tons of variations. Some with fancy filter on top to prevent dirty air to be sucked back in, there is no reason to filter blowby air on a diesel as it would never be sucked back in, so there can be just a simple down hose. Usually used when there is excessive blowby to prevent it from dripping oil, hopefully not his case. Just google it. And yes, there would be a provision to drain the oil which is not visible in the picture.

• Like 1

That's a catch can.  One tube should come from the engine, usually the valve cover, and the other is the vent to the ground.

Some cans, like mine, have a filter instead of the second hose.  They work the same either way.

BTW, I've never had more than a few drops of oil from my can, which indicates my engine has very little blowby.

2 minutes ago, dl_racing427 said:

That's a catch can.  One tube should come from the engine, usually the valve cover, and the other is the vent to the ground.

Some cans, like mine, have a filter instead of the second hose.  They work the same either way.

BTW, I've never had more than a few drops of oil from my can, which indicates my engine has very little blowby.

Another cause of oil coming out of the slobber tube is the overfilling the engine with oil. Can be a faulty marked dip stick. Happens a lot. IF you have a large amount of oil coming out of the slobber tube, reduce the amount of oil you put in the engine by -1- quart. Se what happens. 

Paul A

1 hour ago, Paul A. said:

Another cause of oil coming out of the slobber tube is the overfilling the engine with oil. Can be a faulty marked dip stick. Happens a lot. IF you have a large amount of oil coming out of the slobber tube, reduce the amount of oil you put in the engine by -1- quart. Se what happens. 

Paul A

That's true Paul.
Overfilling causes oil to be whipped up by the crankshaft, increasing windage losses, reducing power and economy, and worst of all, aerating the oil which can cause excessive bearing wear.

Thanks everyone. I removed the canister and it looks like a piece of 3 inch pvc pipe with caps and a drain hole in the bottom. Like dL_racing427 said a homemade catch can. Still not sure where the second is coming from which you can see in pic ends half way down engine with a oil residue inside. Left hose in picture.

image.jpeg

If I am not mistaken, the slobber tube is to the right in your pic.

Because the hose is routed behind the oil filter, we cannot see where it goes.

Maybe a pic from a different angle, so we can see the connection?

Not sure how many members remember the Slobber Tube Oil Breather problem that I had posted back in late 2010 early 2011 on the old site so I did a search and found what I had posted about in on iRV2.com.

Here is the link to that thread. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isc-350-hp-oil-breather-slobber-tube-issue-83829.html#post779892

Basically after some really bad issues with losing oil through my Slobber Tube the Cummins Shop in El Paso Texas installed an Oil Breather Upgrade Kit to my engine which solved the problem. As the thread states it has a larger area for the oil to return back to the crankcase than the stock one.

As far as I can remember this Oil Breather device is located up high on the driver's side of the engine which includes a small tube which goes over and is attached to the turbo I think (not positive).

Edit: i just found the PDF file of the Oil Breather Upgrade Kit in my files. I have attached it.

Upgraded Blow-By Kit.pdf

Edited by Dr4Film