Onan 12,500 Not Sounding Right

monacowner

Hi Gang,

My Onan generator is making strange sounds and smokes more than I seem to remember it smoking ever before.

Here are 2 videos:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pqG...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BY0...ew?usp=sharing

The first showing the amount of smoke and the second letting you hear the sound it makes. Any idea as to what might be going on?

I just recently changed the oil and oil filter, fuel filter and air filter. None of these had an impact on either the smoke or the unusual noise.

Thank you!

Hi Donald,

I feel like mine smokes that much on startup, but it’s hard to tell.   Have your valves ever been adjusted or the injectors serviced?   I’m pretty sure that’s in the 1000 hr maintenance and I can see from your video your at about 1130 hours.   

I will admit I’m at over 2000 hrs and haven’t had my valves or injectors serviced yet.   Does anyone have any idea what an Onan service center charges for that?

5 hours ago, granvillebarker said:

Hi Donald,

I feel like mine smokes that much on startup, but it’s hard to tell.   Have your valves ever been adjusted or the injectors serviced?   I’m pretty sure that’s in the 1000 hr maintenance and I can see from your video your at about 1130 hours.   

I will admit I’m at over 2000 hrs and haven’t had my valves or injectors serviced yet.   Does anyone have any idea what an Onan service center charges for that?

Hi Granville,

I have only owned the coach for 2 years, so I am not sure on the valves question. I would assume not. Hopefully the Onan tech will know what needs to be done. I'll report back soon!

Thanks!

Don

If that sound is coming from rear of the generator, it could be fan blades touching on ABS shroud that could have cracked and deflected. Hard to tell from the sample but you might be able to tell if it sounds like that. As far as the valves and injectors, anyone willing to open the top cover can do it. This is not a Cummins engine but just a little 3 cylinder Isuzu or Kubota. Super easy and quick once you gain access. I had to take the top, rear and side covers off for 3000 hour maintenance which includes much more.

16 hours ago, granvillebarker said:

Ivan,

Where did you find the details on how to do the 3000hr service?

Granville

Granville, I used the schedule listing in manual. It's been couple of years already. Valve lash settings are in engine manual. Mine is an Isuzu and I can look it up for you if needed. Most involved part was the bearing and collector/brush replacement and I got some pics how I pulled them off from that time if it would help. All the parts were readily available. I have not touched the injectors since the Engine runs just fine.

20201007_100337.jpg

2018-02-13_13-04-08_000.jpg

2018-02-12_17-03-19_000.jpg

• Thanks 1