Testing HWH System

rpasetto

I heard, somewhere, that one test for the system:  Start out level, then lower one side in manual mode, then start engine and see if it raises that side and goes into travel mode.  I tried it; did both sides a few times and it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes for the low side to come up.  However either way the low side doesn't come up all the way  it remains slightly tilted by an inch or more to the side which was low.

Is this normal? ... or is there a problem somewhere?

Guest Ray Davis

I can't say it's normal but I suspect it's common .  Ideally it should rise to level ride height but as soon as you start traveling it probably evens out .                    What you are doing is probably hardly ever seen in real circumstances .

Left and right is controlled by valves in the rear , rubber grommets in the links ( rods ) to the valves could be worn and that might cause the problem or the  valves themselves may not be responding properly . If the coach seems level when traveling I don't see it as a problem .

10 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

I can't say it's normal but I suspect it's common .  Ideally it should rise to level ride height but as soon as you start traveling it probably evens out .                    What you are doing is probably hardly ever seen in real circumstances .

Left and right is controlled by valves in the rear , rubber grommets in the links ( rods ) to the valves could be worn and that might cause the problem or the  valves themselves may not be responding properly . If the coach seems level when traveling I don't see it as a problem .

Aha!  I didn't think of loose links in the ride height valves; will check that.

19 hours ago, rpasetto said:

Aha!  I didn't think of loose links in the ride height valves; will check that.

Rick,

I would not adjust anything until you have had it back out on the road. I have noticed that if I adjust stuff in my garage the ride height valves don't seem to return to the position that they will ultimately assume when the coach is on the highway. I have made adjustments to the ride height in the garage resulting in the coach being level on all four corners only to have it change once hitting the road.

1 hour ago, Bob Nodine said:

Rick,

I would not adjust anything until you have had it back out on the road. I have noticed that if I adjust stuff in my garage the ride height valves don't seem to return to the position that they will ultimately assume when the coach is on the highway. I have made adjustments to the ride height in the garage resulting in the coach being level on all four corners only to have it change once hitting the road.

Interesting.  Could it be our ride height valves get "sticky"?  Maybe after years of driving some corrosion sets in.

Would giving them a shot of WD or PB blaster help?

Following a long period in storage, my Diplomat aired up with a heavy lean to the left, the cause of which turned out to be a broken levelling link end. As they are rubber and perish over time, I suppose that is only to be expected. I replaces all 3 of mine with Rose joints and stainless steel connector rods, which will last for ever.

If it's the links on the rear ride height valves, would they deform slightly to affect the ride height setting and then stay that way or would they just break  completely once they weaken?

Back to air-related issues, is a sticking front travel valve on one side also a possibility?  e.g. if one travel valve in front opens more than the other would that send more air to its side?  As far as the front ride height valve goes, if one side has bags 1" high and the other side 1" low it seems it would average out to satisfy the ride height valve.

8 hours ago, Gwarsh said:

Peter,

If you have them, would you mind sharing the part numbers and possible URL's for the Rose joints and stainless steel connector rods?

Thanks...

I purchased 6 of the item below plus 1 metre of the stainless rod and a pack of the misalignment spacers along with shouldered 8mm bolts. You might find imperial sizes more convenient in the USA.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283414435966

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152796756209

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381655857006

Edited by hitechpete
Additional info
  • Thanks 1