My husband and I purchased a 2008 Holiday Rambler Imperial IV in December 2019. In May of this year, our A/C #1 went out. Our local RV repair shop diagnosed it as an oil and freon leak, telling us it needs an A/C and control box kit replacement. They ordered a Dometic low profile A/C and control box from the manufacturer. To date, the unit has still not shipped. We were given an original ship date of September 3, 2020. The RV dealer contacted their Dometic rep and he couldn't give them a date for shipment saying all RV parts manufacturers are having trouble finding transport for parts. 

My question is:  Do some RV repair shops keep things like Dometic A/Cs, etc. in stock? I haven't called around to look for one, but am wondering if that would be something an RV mechanic would keep on hand. Also, I'm wondering if a different repair shop would have better luck getting a part? Of if anyone on this forum has an idea who or where I can turn to find an ac unit? We've already paid for diagnosing the problem, so my husband wants to wait for the parts. This weekend we took the RV to Houston and almost roasted without the front AC. Lol. 

Thank you for reading!! And thank you in advance for any responses!

Kathy Denton

Unfortunately, most RV repair places do not stock air conditioners.  There are to may different versions so it would be tough.  

I purchased a new Penguin II (low profile) heat pump from PPL RV parts last year.  They are one of the largest RV parts dealers and usually have most models in stock.  

Give them a call and ask when they expect A/C's to show up.

Below is a link to the PPL A/C page:

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-appliances/air-conditioner?facetValueFilter=tenant~manufacturer%3adometic

Also, I'd recommend you purchase one of the 15,000btu or high capacity units for the front.  

Edited by vito.a
  • Thanks 1

GREAT information. I will call our RV service department and tell them we want a 15,000 btu or higher capacity. And I'll call Penguin tomorrow. This was exactly the direction I needed with my post. 

Thank you so much!

17 minutes ago, ktloah said:

Our front A/C unit on our 04 Dynasty quit and we ordered a new 15k BTU low profile Dometic from a local RV shop. 4 weeks later we had it...there is some delay due to the pandemic they say...

WOW! You were lucky. What RV shop may I ask? Maybe we can call them and order through them and get one quicker. It's worth a try!  

Thank you for the link! I’ll call my mechanic tomorrow. You are all the best! Thank you!!

Guest warp9now

I have had a new Dometic on order for 96 days now.  No one has them.  Dometic (made in China), shut down for a couple of months for COVID.  Now that they are back up an running, they are trying to fill their distribution chain, starting with the manufacturers so they can keep building units.  Distribution to maintenance providers (and you and me) is last on their list.  I ordered from two separate large distributors - paying for each - and that was more than 3 months ago.

Oh wow!! That’s what we’ve been told as well. I did get a call from our RV repair that a unit was shipping out yesterday. She said they found two elsewhere. We don’t have it yet, so fingers crossed. I hope you get yours too! 

Guest Ray Davis

I thought Dometic was made in China too but I received one a couple or so months ago and and the box said made in Mexico .