Front drop down Tv mechanism in 2004 Signature will not work

ronwtg

The drop down front TV will not work. Two years ago I had a bad blowout and when I got the coach back a year later the TV would not come down. I have had it to several RV repair shops. They found several things that it could be. 

1. The circuit board may be bad. For $450 I could send it off to see if it could be repaired. They no longer make the board and if it can’t be repaired I’m out the money. 
2. the motor is bad. I have not tested it but I was told this. I searched for the motor and it is not available. 
For now I have disconnected the lift and made brackets to hold the TV up. I have replaced the old TV with a much lighter digital one. Since RV repair seems only to have part changers I have decided to revamp the lift system myself. I was wondering if anyone had done this to their lifts. It seems the maker has gotten out of this type of lifts so a total refabrication is in order. Before I try to reinvent the wheel I thought I’d ask. 
Ron Stevenson

2004 Signature Castle

Ron,

When replacing the original television in my drop-down unit I had an issue with it not going up or down, luckily, it was stuck in the down position.  I found that the plug for the motor had worked loose.  Prior to that I checked the wall switch and fuses and found them to be good.  Elsewhere on this Forum there is a discussion about the TV lift and there are new replacements by current manufacturers for the lift if it has stopped working.  They are quite robust so I would be surprised if it died.  I was in Indio, CA at the time and had a very experienced Tech helping me, I hope you sort it out. Look at the Monaco Parts List in the downloads section and on page 179 the manufacturers are listed for the original lift and new lifts.

Beautiful coach!  I have the same paint scheme.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Bruce B said:

Ron,

When replacing the original television in my drop-down unit I had an issue with it not going up or down, luckily, it was stuck in the down position.  I found that the plug for the motor had worked loose.  Prior to that I checked the wall switch and fuses and found them to be good.  Elsewhere on this Forum there is a discussion about the TV lift and there are new replacements by current manufacturers for the lift if it has stopped working.  They are quite robust so I would be surprised if it died.  I was in Indio, CA at the time and had a very experienced Tech helping me, I hope you sort it out. Look at the Monaco Parts List in the downloads section and on page 179 the manufacturers are listed for the original lift and new lifts.

Beautiful coach!  I have the same paint scheme.

Cheers

Thanks, yours looks exactly like mine. We have been through everything, or I should say the tech has. I’m about to get into it myself. Surely they checked the plug but you never know. 
Ron

14 minutes ago, Vince Toscano said:

Hi Ron,

Do you who is the manufacture of the drop down? One item to check is if the motor is 120 vac or is it 12 dc? If the motor is ac it may be the capacitor? Not sure if your has limit switches? Do you know where the control box is? Do you any pictures of the unit? let me know.

Vince

Vince,

I think it is made by Tri Metals Fabrication. This unit folds down toward the front of the coach. The switch is 12 volt but the motor is 120. If your standing look towards the front of the coach the motor,  actuator  and circuit boards are all on the left side above the drivers seat. I think it does have limit switches but it’s been almost a year since I’ve had it apart. I’m not at the coach but I’ll take some pictures tomorrow. I will have to dismantle it. Right now it is unhooked from the lift. I am the lift we fabricated brackets to hold it in the closed position for travel. It’s heavy. Most of the weight is the mount. I have a 43” Samsung flat screen on it that only is about 40lbs or less. 
Thanks I’ll get some pictures. 
Ron

HI Ron,

It sounds very similar to the one I have in my 2003 Beaver. this is the motor, control box and capacitor. the motor can be checked with out the control box. let me know if this equipment looks the same. Sometimes the capacitor dries up and shorts internally. this effect will be the motor hums but does not move. I should ask if you are hearing any thing when you go to move your tv drop down?
Vince

20200924_100547.jpg

20200927_151337.jpg

20200924_100507.jpg

Hi Ron,

If you want to talk it may be much better than emailing. Let me know. 

Vince

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blacknight said:

Ron-excuse me-completely off subject-who/where do i look for the clear protect "bra" on the front of your beautiful coach? thanks

It came with the coach but it was made by Summit Products in Iowa. I talked with them last year and they had stopped producing them.

Ron-excuse me-completely off subject-who/where do i look for the clear protect "bra" on the front of your beautiful coach? thanks

It came with the coach when I got it. 

Vince, 

here are some pictures I took today. They do look a lot alike 

I have an 03 Sig and had a problem after a bad electrical issue at a campground pedestal that caused the TV drop down mechanism to stop working. There is a limit switch on the right hand side that was forced out of adjustment and when I reset it it worked fine. It is very sensitive on adjustment and does not take much movement to make a change.

On 12/10/2020 at 2:18 PM, Vince Toscano said:

Hi Ron,

Do you who is the manufacture of the drop down? One item to check is if the motor is 120 vac or is it 12 dc? If the motor is ac it may be the capacitor? Not sure if your has limit switches? Do you know where the control box is? Do you any pictures of the unit? let me know.

Vince

On 12/10/2020 at 2:32 PM, ronwtg@sbcglobal.net said:

Thanks, yours looks exactly like mine. We have been through everything, or I should say the tech has. I’m about to get into it myself. Surely they checked the plug but you never know. 
Ron

On 12/10/2020 at 2:18 PM, Vince Toscano said:

Hi Ron,

Vince

On 12/10/2020 at 2:32 PM, ronwtg@sbcglobal.net said:

Ron

On 12/11/2020 at 5:29 AM, directorsusa said:

Mine did the same thing. I have yet to fix but found this a while back on youtube.

Jarred A

2004 HR Navigator

This looks a lot like mine. I had to stop working on it due to an emergency. When I get back at it I’ll let y’all know what I find. 
Ron

• 2 years later...

Since my previous response upon getting my coach out of storage for the winter season my drop down mechanism will not come down. When I press the switch I get a grinding gear or spline-like noise. Has anyone experienced this?  I could expose the back of the tv and perhaps see into the motor area but anyone with a previous similar situation and advice would be helpful. Thanks. 

Sounds like your drive motor or coupling is not good, I am not able to get at the information I have on mine until later today but I will have a look and see if there is anything there that will help you. I have only had trouble with setting limit switches

Rob

2003 Signature 

• Like 1