Trace Inverter Settings for AGM Batteries

burghere66

I'm looking for advice on how to change the settings on my Trace inverter/charger for AGM batteries. 

I pulled the trigger today and purchased new Duracell AGM batteries from Sams Club after they tested my 6-month old Duracell lead-acid golf cart batteries and they were all bad.  Have always had good luck with Sam's golf cart batteries for the last 20 years.  They typically last 6 years but these were bad after 6 months.  But the new ones seemed weak from the day I purchased them.  So, without time for research and not wanting the same batteries I decided on the AGM batteries.

So what settings do I need to make to the Trace 3000 watt Inverter/Charger with RC7 Remote Control.  In reviewing my manual it only gives me 2 choices for battery type:  Liquid Lead  or Gel Cell.  How about the other parameters like charge voltage etc?

Burghere

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

Thanks for your input. 

My Trace inverter only shows 2 battery types, Liquid Lead and Gel Cell.  I have selected Gel Cell since I understand that AGM's are very similar.   I have a call into the Trace Tech department to get their input as well as to ask them what other settings they may suggest such as Battery Capacity, Charge Rate, Vac Dropout, and Fuel Gauge Cutout.  I want to maximize my output without jeopardizing the 4 new agm batteries. 

Gary

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

When thinking about changing from standard wet cell to AGM type House Batteries, call the manufacturer of your inverter to make sure your inverter works with AGM batteries.  If it does, then go through, with the manufacturer tech, all the different charging settings because the charge times and percentages available to verify their performance is what you are looking for as they are different for AGM batteries.  Just changing your inverter from Standard to AGM without changing additional charge settings can result in inferior and or damaging battery performance.  My Magnum inverter has various AGM performance settings which I discussed in detail with the Magnum Tech before and after installing AGM House batteries in my rig.  The AGM batteries I selected have and continue to out perform the standard wet cell batteries that came with my coach.  Stay well, Stay safe and Save travels.

• Thanks 1

The trace engineering 3K full sign wave inverter with revision 4.01 looks at the AGM as a lead acid battery.   If you have the units owner manual it is on page 100.   It gives a very nice definition of battery types and how to set the inverter.

Unfortunately my Trace Owners Manual V1.1 is only 39 pages long and does not reference settings for AGM batteries.   All it says is "AGM batteries are similar to gel cells and may be used in inverter.   I have made 4 calls to the Tech Department at Trace and they have taken my information but they have not answered back.  I don't want to cook $700+ of new batteries.

Gary

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

Good choice.  The article says that the Trace Zantrex SW series inverter looks at the AGM as a lead acid battery not gel battery.    I have 8 life line battery's in mine now going on the 8th year and we do a far mount of dry camping.    I have mine set on the lead acid as per the manual

Paul

2005 Navigator  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, burghere66 said:

Unfortunately my Trace Owners Manual V1.1 is only 39 pages long and does not reference settings for AGM batteries.   All it says is "AGM batteries are similar to gel cells and may be used in inverter.   I have made 4 calls to the Tech Department at Trace and they have taken my information but they have not answered back.  I don't want to cook $700+ of new batteries.

Gary

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

Gary,

Please do post the results when you do hear back from Trace. With an 03 Executive I am sure that we probably have the same inverter. I was just thinking this week of switching to AGM as I have cooked off another set of wet cell. This summer I was not able to check my batteries. In Phoenix we had over 50 days where the temps were 110 degrees and higher. Because of medical I was not using the coach or checking it. My batteries literally evaporated from the heat. I have to admit I didn't see that one coming. Perhaps AGM would have faired better. 

That being said what are you folks on the group here using for AGM? I have the usual 4 Trojans at this point. 6v deep cycle.

Thanks Ken