Rv Whisper

bmulvenna@hotmail.com

I just purchased temp stick for monitoring the temperature in my RV during this cold spell in the Midwest I don’t have my RV winterized .so far it’s working pretty good it emails me every 4 hours on the temperature inside the shop. And I have it set an alert if it gets below 34° . To test it I set the sensor outside and it alerted me by text message right away.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered mine after the post above, and installed it last weekend. I am monitoring:

- Coach temp and humidity

- Fridge temp

- Wet bay temp and humidity

- House battery voltage

I have a fairly weak cell signal at my coach (1-2 bars) but have no problem receiving data and alerts. (This connects through a ToGo RoadLink [aka Winegard ConnecT 2.0] that is on 24/7)

It was easy and straightforward to set up. i did have one battery sensor that was DOA, and they shipped a replacement immediately, no questions asked. (I thought the customer service was great! Very friendly, helpful, and interested in getting me working properly)

The app is good, not great... you have to log back in if you’ve switched to another app or closed your phone.  (it remembers the details for you).  In addition to the app there is a website you can use to check the coach. 

It’s already helped me identify that my house batteries were not charging fully, and my chassis batteries not charging at all. Turns out I had a bad battery temperature sensor on my Magnum Inverter, which was causing the inverter to only charge house batteries to 12.7vdc, and the chassis batteries not at all.

The alerts are very customizable and work as advertised.

I plan to add a chassis battery monitor and a freezer temp monitor. May add the tank monitors later if it all continues to work well. 

Scotty

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2021 at 8:08 AM, Scotty Hutto said:

I ordered mine after the post above, and installed it last weekend. I am monitoring:

- Coach temp and humidity

- Fridge temp

- Wet bay temp and humidity

- House battery voltage

I have a fairly weak cell signal at my coach (1-2 bars) but have no problem receiving data and alerts. (This connects through a ToGo RoadLink [aka Winegard ConnecT 2.0] that is on 24/7)

It was easy and straightforward to set up. i did have one battery sensor that was DOA, and they shipped a replacement immediately, no questions asked. (I thought the customer service was great! Very friendly, helpful, and interested in getting me working properly)

The app is good, not great... you have to log back in if you’ve switched to another app or closed your phone.  (it remembers the details for you).  In addition to the app there is a website you can use to check the coach. 

It’s already helped me identify that my house batteries were not charging fully, and my chassis batteries not charging at all. Turns out I had a bad battery temperature sensor on my Magnum Inverter, which was causing the inverter to only charge house batteries to 12.7vdc, and the chassis batteries not at all.

The alerts are very customizable and work as advertised.

I plan to add a chassis battery monitor and a freezer temp monitor. May add the tank monitors later if it all continues to work well. 

Scottu

Thanks, how did you verify the temp sensor was bad? 

7 minutes ago, bmulvenna@hotmail.com said:

Thanks, how did you verify the temp sensor was bad? 

Just to clarify, it was the Magnum Inverter battery temp sensor that was bad, not the RV Whisper sensor. 

I identified it because the house batteries would not charge above 12.7vdc, which I identified using the RV Whisper sensor (if I was at the coach I could’ve used the Magnum display panel.). RV Whisper gave me an alert that my house batteries were low. Upon investigation, everything seemed normal with the inverter except the charging voltage.  Looking at the Magnum troubleshooting chart, I identified the battery temp sensor (BTS) as the possible culprit.  This was confirmed by disconnecting the BTS from the inverter, and the battery charging voltage immediately went up to the normal range.  

When the BTS goes bad, it sends a signal indicating the batteries are overheating to the inverter.  The inverter lowers the charging voltage to 12.7vdc to prevent boiling the batteries.  Unplugging the BTS removes the “overheating” signal, and the inverter returns to normal operation. 

…that may be more info that you were looking for, hope it helps. 

7 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Just to clarify, it was the Magnum Inverter battery temp sensor that was bad, not the RV Whisper sensor. 

I identified it because the house batteries would not charge above 12.7vdc, which I identified using the RV Whisper sensor (if I was at the coach I could’ve used the Magnum display panel.). RV Whisper gave me an alert that my house batteries were low. Upon investigation, everything seemed normal with the inverter except the charging voltage.  Looking at the Magnum troubleshooting chart, I identified the battery temp sensor (BTS) as the possible culprit.  This was confirmed by disconnecting the BTS from the inverter, and the battery charging voltage immediately went up to the normal range.  

When the BTS goes bad, it sends a signal indicating the batteries are overheating to the inverter.  The inverter lowers the charging voltage to 12.7vdc to prevent boiling the batteries.  Unplugging the BTS removes the “overheating” signal, and the inverter returns to normal operation. 

…that may be more info that you were looking for, hope it helps. 

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much.

I bought one for our coach a year ago at quartzite. I got the temp and battery sensor. And we bought a hughes surge protector that can also be read on the app. It works good but the whisper app was kind of glitchy. Haven’t used it for 7 mos as the coach is in storage. We bought it so that in case we are away from the coach and it looses power or the temp goes above a certain limit we can be alerted of it. We have puppies and that was our main concern to make sure they are alright when we’re gone. The other issue with the app is that it’s free monitoring for a year then I think it’s a monthly fee? I haven’t used it for awhile so I’d have to confirm that. When I get the coach out of storage I’ll reinstate the app