Tyron or Retrobands

I know this subject has been discussed before and David Pratt did a nice write up last summer about retrobands recall..  So  I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread, or just continue an old one.

Anyway, what is the status of the recall from last year?  Has Retroband resolved the issues?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new system, trying to decide on Tyron or Retroband.  leaning towards the tyron right now, but always enjoy the discussion.  Comments?

I would rather put my life and trust into a proven metal based technology versus one that has had a recall right out of the gate AND is not made of metal.

I have Tyron Bands on my steer tires and thank God have not had to test them out.

I pulled the trigger back in 2017 when I had new steer tires installed.

FYI. I have Tyron on my steer tires. In 09/2019 I had the drivers side steer tire go while on I-69 going from Indiana back to MI. I was in the curb lane and doing about 60mph. The blow out immediately took me halfway into the fast lane.   I think Tryon and schooling not to hit the brake but accelerating allowed me to get safely to the shoulder.  I replaced the tire and the Tyron band.

Bill

2009 Dynasty Regal IV

Guest Ray Davis
26 minutes ago, Mi Bill said:

FYI. I have Tyron on my steer tires. In 09/2019 I had the drivers side steer tire go while on I-69 going from Indiana back to MI. I was in the curb lane and doing about 60mph. The blow out immediately took me halfway into the fast lane.   I think Tryon and schooling not to hit the brake but accelerating allowed me to get safely to the shoulder.  I replaced the tire and the Tyron band.

Bill

2009 Dynasty Regal IV

Welcome to the group.

I'm curious about what brand and age were the tires?    Is there anything you know of that may have led to the blowout?  A tire injury or low inflation.

Ray and others,

The tires were to be replaced when we returned from this trip. I knew they need replacing before the trip but, thought I could get away with it. I did not, and learned a VERY EXPENSIVE lesson. When we arrived home I took the coach to a collision shop and the repairs done. Then it went to a tire shop and  eight new Michelin 295's installed. I ordered the new Tyron Band from the company in FL and had the tire people install with the tires.

Bill

17 minutes ago, Mi Bill said:

Ray and others,

The tires were to be replaced when we returned from this trip. I knew they need replacing before the trip but, thought I could get away with it. I did not, and learned a VERY EXPENSIVE lesson. When we arrived home I took the coach to a collision shop and the repairs done. Then it went to a tire shop and  eight new Michelin 295's installed. I ordered the new Tyron Band from the company in FL and had the tire people install with the tires.

Bill

Out of curiosity, Bill, how old was the tire that blew?

Jim,

I don't remember exactly but think they were about eight-ten years old. They were Michelin's and on the coach when we bought it used in 2014. The original owner had the OEM Goodyear tires replace a year or two after he getting the coach.

Thanks

Bill

Thank you all for your comments. 

I blew a right rear tire when the coach was a year old.  The original goodyear's didn't give any indication or warning of a problem via the TPMS, and it was a catastrophic failure.  Lots of damage to the coach.  Control wasn't an issue at all, but a flapping piece or rubber can do wonders on the fiberglass panels of a motorhome.  I was lucky it didn't take out the air bags.

I then went to the steering stabilizer.  Then a couple years later,  the Monaco Watts system.  Just recently I took off the steering stabilizer and the coach drives great.  I was very surprised.    So I'm thinking no more stabilizer and do the tyron bands.

I need to talk to my tire guy and see what the procedure is to get them installed.  Not even sure if he's a dealer or not.

5 minutes ago, windsorbill06 said:

Thank you all for your comments.

I need to talk to my tire guy and see what the procedure is to get them installed.  Not even sure if he's a dealer or not.

If you are in Florida, Josam's in Orlando is a dealer.

Guest Ray Davis

Monacoers     listen to Bill,  replacing tires at about 6 yrs has been preached on here for yrs,  but I have noticed that number was creeping up.  I understand the logic, tires  can look practically new but be aged out.  They are expensive and the yrs go by so fast.   Yrs ago we went on a trip with friends, I told him your tires are really old, but he didn't want to hear it, they looked good so away we went, but not for long.   He ended up replacing all of them after a couple of them put us on the side of the road.

Now after time has passed it's rather funny.  It was a Sunday and we were on the side of the road with a flat tire waiting on his road assistance people to show up.  When they finally showed it was 3 good old boys, drunk.  They were in an old PU full of beer cans, no tools they borrowed my friends, but they got the job done, and they kept us entertained while they changed to the spare.

Edited by Ray Davis

If  you go to Tyron-usa.com they give good instructions. Also lost of information just by Googling. They are located in Florida. Chuck Thacher 813-620-0364 is the owner. He is former military and very helpful. He is the person I dealt with after my blow out and he was very responsive.

Bill F

Tyron all the way. If the Retrobands were that good the military would be using them. Instead they use Tyron. No idea what the price differential is between the two but for me it wouldn't matter. I refuse to pinch pennies on safety items. My life is worth a lot more then the few dollars I would save by buying an inferior product.

JMHO

• Confused 1

Thanks to all for info on Tyron. I am very interested in avoiding a catastrophe, so I am going to look into them. On another note, we are looking to replace our drive tires. Anyone have any thoughts on Americus tire brand? They are manufactured in Thailand. They are priced at $365.99 w/free shipping for size 295/80R22.5 .

Edited by eddie4ne

Hutchinson Industries

Hutchinson Industries, Inc. is the premier manufacturer of engineered mobility components for vehicles within the defense, security and commercial industries.

This Co. makes some very interesting products for wheel application. I Sold them Many Machine Tools and related equipment when we were a Machine Tool dealer as well as Coil and Flat  Steel Processing equipment.
  • Like 2