Sharp Carousel convection microwave replacement

laurice@email.com

We need to replace the OTR Sharp Carousel convection microwave in our 2009 Monaco Knight PKQ38. 
Does anyone know how to remove this?  I have removed the ‘cup rack’ from above the unit and I see there is a piece of plywood that has been installed but cannot see any screws attaching the microwave to it. Perhaps it is just a spacer?  But there has to be some point that secures the microwave so it does not pivot forward on the bottom mounting plate. I have removed the fan assembly on the top but still cannot find any attachment point. 

Has anyone replaced their microwave in a similar rig?  Sure would appreciate some guidance. Thanks

Laurice

2009 Monaco Knight PKQ38

Remove the two grease filters and there will be two long diagonal screws / rods that attach to the back plate. Mine also had three self tapping screws going straight down from above (under a false floor in the cabinet above)

Other owners have found screws  going into the side of the oven rather than the top. You may have any combination of these, but you will definitely have the long screws when you remove the grease filters.

Thanks all.  I had done a search before I started and did not realize that the two long bolts actually were accessed behind the filters.  (I know it said that, but....) I was looking for the bolts from the top...   I know.  Sure hope my wife doesn’t read this post!

thanks all. 

now for the challenge of installing the new one .... without the two long bolts and without an upper cabinet.  

15 hours ago, laurice@email.com said:

Thanks all.  I had done a search before I started and did not realize that the two long bolts actually were accessed behind the filters.  (I know it said that, but....) I was looking for the bolts from the top...   I know.  Sure hope my wife doesn’t read this post!

thanks all. 

now for the challenge of installing the new one .... without the two long bolts and without an upper cabinet.  

We have an Insignia OTR microwave fitted into a kitchen slide. The unit is hung from a sheet of MDF that is screwed to the slide ceiling with additional support from being latched into a metal bracket at the rear.

The Sharp is hung from a plate that is fastened to the back wall.   Cover what ever is under the unit so it is not damaged.

The unit is heavy (40 pounds plus)   Unplug unit.  Have someone guide the cord out of the cabinet as you remove the unit.

HOLD UNTO THE Sharp as you remove the below screws!   The unit will pivot down from the wall when the last screws are removed.

Remove 2 screws from the above cabinet.  Both screws are under the false floor of the cabinet.  Use a small screw driver

to pry up the false floor.      Remove the two filters under the unit and you should see a screw under each that run on a angle. 

Unscrew.  Note the LONG screws may not come out.  HOLD on to the unit.  The unit will then pivot down.....lift the unit up a little and it will

come off the ledge and you can set it down.   Again it is heavy.

Jack H

2005 HR Vacationer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 3/28/2021 at 4:45 PM, laurice@email.com said:

Still have old unit. 

i swapped my old sharp out of my 2003 Camelot with a Whirlpool micro/convection/air fryer, everything works except heating , clock /TT, just not heating up. any ideas what is out of whack, here in grand forks b.c.