My genny is demon-possessed!

MSHappyCampers

Well, not quite that bad!  I am having a problem with the generator slide-out creeping out while we are driving.  Not much, maybe an inch at most.  When this happens it creates a funny-sounding wind noise that we can hear, so we know immediately what has happened.  The slide-out is hydraulic.  Has anyone had this problem?  Thanks for your comments!

Joe

Joe,

Now that's one problem I haven't experienced with my generator slide.

I have had numerous problems with the Lockout Valve not releasing the slide to come out or even go in when needed. The last time this happened to me was after arriving home for the winter last November. I went to open the slide to retrieve stuff that I store in front of the generator and NOPE it wouldn't come out. The motor would run but no movement. I would check every day and this went on for almost two weeks with no response. Then miraculously one day it started to work again and has worked ever since.

I called Mike at Affordable Hose & Fittings who had rebuilt the entire generator slide system for me as to possible reasons. His comment was that he did not get into the Lockout Valve when he had everything at his shop. He only worked on the ram, made up new hoses and rebuilt the motor.

I did some research for a vendor on the Lockout Valve as it is a Power Gear Slide System so I started with Lippert who has taken over the Power Gear Company. They looked up the old part number and gave me the new part number for a new valve. Needless to say based on the price I haven't done anything as yet.

Here's the scoop:

Old part number - 540115 (Power Gear)

New part number - 359312 (Lippert)

Cost - $575.95

There have been at least two different manufacturers of the hydraulic systems for the generator slide.  Mine is HWH on my 2000 Dynasty 36.  It does not have external valves to change directions.  It was simply a gear pump and two contactors mounted to the motor reversed the polarity to the motor to drive it in or out.  There are no external valves.  I don't think that system has ever had the problem with "creep-out".  I have repaired the leaking cylinder with $15 worth of seals.

If you have the system with the lockout valve, if the piston seal itself was leaking (internal leakage from one side of the cylinder to the other) might it still creep out even if the lockout valve was functioning properly?  I have no experience with that model.

If you have the system with a lockout valve, and it is a very expensive part, I would think you could insert an inexpensive solenoid valve in the "out" line to sidestep your problem.  Power the added solenoid valve from the motor of the hydraulic pump.  Just speculation--I've never done it.

10 minutes ago, vanwill52 said:

If you have the system with a lockout valve, and it is a very expensive part, I would think you could insert an inexpensive solenoid valve in the "out" line to sidestep your problem.  Power the added solenoid valve from the motor of the hydraulic pump.  Just speculation--I've never done it.

Unfortunately each side of the 12 VDC motor/pump can be either an IN or OUT depending on which direction you are asking the slide to travel. The motor/pump is bi-directional to drive the ram either out or in. I guess you could add two solenoids, one on each side such that they open when powered in either direction. That would isolate the motor/pump.

Our generator slide did the same thing after we replaced a weepy hydraulic hose. I suspected trapped air in the end of the ram.

After bleeding the line and purging the system of air it behaved more like it was intended. If you haven't changed the hose or ram or someway unsealed the system you might check the fluid level with all the slides out to see if the pump picked up air on a low level. That's an easy and affordable inspection. If that checks out well, then you can move on from there.

Someone on another forum suggested holding the button down for an extra 2-3 seconds at each end of travel.  That's supposed to get rid of air in the lines.  I'm going to try that first.  Thanks for your suggestions!  🙂

Joe

Joe,

Be very careful using that procedure as that is exactly what I had been doing based on some recommendations here on Monacoers by members who stated that it would possibly clear any debris from getting caught in the Lock-Valve preventing it from working. Bottom-line I eventually burned up some strategic part inside the motor by doing that each time I ran the slide in.

Mike at Affordable Hose & Fittings repaired the motor for me PLUS he installed an Auto-Resetting Circuit Breaker inline with the positive side of the power wire. Now if I hold the switch for too long the circuit breaker trips to protect the motor from failing once again.

1 hour ago, Dr4Film said:

Joe,

Be very careful using that procedure as that is exactly what I had been doing based on some recommendations here on Monacoers by members who stated that it would possibly clear any debris from getting caught in the Lock-Valve preventing it from working. Bottom-line I eventually burned up some strategic part inside the motor by doing that each time I ran the slide in.

Mike at Affordable Hose & Fittings repaired the motor for me PLUS he installed an Auto-Resetting Circuit Breaker inline with the positive side of the power wire. Now if I hold the switch for too long the circuit breaker trips to protect the motor from failing once again.

Thanks for the heads-up Richard!  I plan to only do it once in each direction, and only for a couple of seconds.  🙂