Step Cover

Does anyone know how to access the gear driven step cover motor. My step cover is partially in, I can hear the motor turning but the screw is not moving. There is very little room to work, and the motor is recessed about three feet in. 

I have removed mine before. It would be easier to just call you if possible.

6E24E850-7760-4B49-B59C-86D167E80BD2.jpeg

F3B7C4B9-B3DA-4F9B-A4FE-ADDE53F25E96.jpeg

11 hours ago, Howard said:

Steve, I have a 2004 Monaco Diplomat

Most likely the same as Steve's Knight. I think Monaco only had one version of the electric step cover. I would send Steve a private message and get his phone number. Sounds like he is willing to talk you thru the process.

I hope you do not have one like Tom Moore's 2011? Camelot.  Hard to believe, but the side framing of the entry door was narrower than the step cover, as if the side framing was added AFTER the step cover was installed.  I removed that one the only way possible--sawed off rivets and attachment points to remove it piece-by-piece.  I machined new attachment points and made two-piece scissor arms to allow the step cover to be reinstalled by assembling it into the recess for the step cover.   IIRC (if I remember correctly), I also made the front and rear cross supports to be disassembled and reassembled two pieces.

BTW, Tom's problem was that his motor had burned out.  The replacement motor from Grainger was inexpensive, but the process of replacing it was a booger.  If your motor is still running you obviously have another problem.  Based on my experience, I would think the gimpy setscrew on the motor shaft or the equally gimpy way the larger gearbelt pully was secured to the Acme would be the culprit.  As long as removing the unit is not a nightmare like on Tom Moore's Camelot, the repair is not difficult or expensive.  For the life of me, I'll never understand why Monaco replaced the super-simple air cylinder actuator with that Rube Goldberg, multi-part, Acme screw apparatus.

11 hours ago, Bob Nodine said:

Most likely the same as Steve's Knight. I think Monaco only had one version of the electric step cover. I would send Steve a private message and get his phone number. Sounds like he is willing to talk you thru the process.

Already walked Howard thru the process. Sent him pics of mine. Think he’s good to go. Since his geny comes out he plans to put an inspection hole to access the rear where the moror and belt are.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Terry T said:

Hello Gary,

new to forum, is that little belt what moves my step cover?  Wow, if so thanks for the pics.

Hope I don’t have to work on it soon though.

Terry T

Yes if thats the cover u have. I have the cad drawings if u need them.