Anyone Drop the Rads to get to AC belt?

In my 04 Cayman 34 pdd w/cummins 300 HP I accessed the belt , compressor n adjuster rod from closet engine hatch. Remove the closet slider doors put cushion over track. Take 2 Aleive , chill n it will be done. Lots more work removing Rad draining antifreeze removing  charge cooler, trans cooler. PS reservoir adds about 6-8 hrs to the job. If you choose door 2 and take it all apart then change hoses, Rad n charge cooler, thermostat. Serpentine belt, tensioner etc all hoses on engine about 8 others big n small on mine.

So, I’m not sure, but my AC belt is different than the serpentine belt. 

The serpentine belt will fit over the fan, the compressor belt will not. It’s like an old s school V-belt, about 18-20” in diameter. I believe I have to get the fan off. Here’s a pic, wish my engine was this easy to get to and clean. Oh the side Rads, why did they go away? 

Let me know if I’m off base. I’m late and work and not following along very well 

thanks! 

A8E07454-A754-44AA-B4AD-1F3129128A64.jpeg

Edited by JDCrow
Added pic

• 2 years later...
On 5/4/2021 at 11:15 PM, JDCrow said:

So, I’m not sure, but my AC belt is different than the serpentine belt. 

The serpentine belt will fit over the fan, the compressor belt will not. It’s like an old s school V-belt, about 18-20” in diameter. I believe I have to get the fan off. Here’s a pic, wish my engine was this easy to get to and clean. Oh the side Rads, why did they go away? 

Let me know if I’m off base. I’m late and work and not following along very well 

thanks! 

A8E07454-A754-44AA-B4AD-1F3129128A64.jpeg

@JDCrow Sorry to revive a 3 yr old thread, but how did that compressor belt change work out?

I found pieces of my shredded belt laying in the bottom of the pan between radiator and fan.  Can't get the new belt over the fan blades, and can only feel the bolts holding the fan on (hope I don't drop one . . . ).  Meanwhile I feel like I'm going to bust a rib laying over the threshold.  And everything is filthy oily sooty.

We have essentially the same motor . . . . What did you have to do to replace that belt?

- bob

What engine and what belt do you have?  I'd be surprised if the AC belt on that ISL wouldn't fit over a fan.  It won't go over the fan all at once, you have to get one end of the belt between the blades pulled up to the hub to get enough to reach around the other blades, usually turning the fan as you work the belt around. 

If you have to remove the fan, see if you can loosen the radiator mounts and move it back a couple inches to get clearance without removing hoses.  Lots of cardboard to lay on helps the ribs, but definitely an easier job for younger folks.

The ISL engine in JDCrow's photo doesn't match his Diplomat.  We both have the ISC engine with rear radiators. 

I tried the "one blade at a time" installation.  It doesn't work.  I'm laying on a pillow now . . .

- bob

Good eve, sorry just all over the place. No I haven’t gotten to yet. Life got in the way. 

The fuel pump developed a leak. Fought that, then took it in and the mech took forever. Dealing with auto accident from last trip. Just had knee surgery but hoping to hit the road in April. It hasn’t been a huge deal for us as we haven’t been much in the heat.

I don’t see it being a huge issue. Just start with the first bolts you come to and keep digging in. 

Pics and labeled zip locks to help put it together. My pump is froze. Going to have to get the gas out of system before I tear into it.

post your progress 

I just replaced the serpentine belt on my ISL 400 and bypassed the the compressor (until my new one comes in). On mine, it is one belt for drive everything. It is long enough to work around the fan. I did have to replace the bearing on the fan hub and I replaced the fan with a Source Engineering version, much quieter now. Once the fan hub was loose, it was much easier to work around. Did most of the job through the floor in the closet. If yours is similar, it can be done but is very awkward. 

I heated the belt in a bucket of very hot water.  It allowed the belt to stretch just enough to get over that one fan blade I was having an issue with. 

Now the AC compressor squeals like a scalded dog when I turn on the AC. 🥵  Before the belt was installed the pulley spun freely. 

Looks like more work ahead . . . . . 

- bob