Headlights

Keamyinc

My brother-in-law is purchasing a 2003 Windsor and when we went to pick it up today the headlights were not wording but all the other exterior lights were working. The owner just changed the smart steering circuit board as recommended by a mechanic but did not solve the problem. No fuses were burnt snd the bulbs themselves were good. Any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

First thing I'd do is advise your BIL that no money changes hands until it's fixed. That the seller has replaced 'stuff' already indicates he's had it looked at and the problem has not been resolved. May be more wrong than something simple, especially with electrical gremlins. If the seller's 'tech' gave bad advice, or maybe it was good advice with additional 'issues', don't know. Regardless if his advice didn't fix the problem, look for more to come. First place to check is the headlight switch, then the smart wheel/clockspring. Most issues involve the grounding wire(s). Try hooking up a known good ground to the headlights/switch and see if that works. Work your way backwards from there. Personally, I'd get a mobile mechanic of my choosing to troubleshoot it before committing to buy. Of course, if the price was right, I might take the chance and buy it anyway, but exercise caution....Dennis

Typically headlights have a circuit breaker and not a fuse. Circuit breakers don't go bad very often though. Headlight switches do go bad and there is a separate terminal on the headlight switch for headlights that's wired to the breaker and everything else goes to fuses. It shouldn't be to hard to track down with a test light and a DVOM.

I had that problem . . . . turned out I wasn't pulling on the headlight switch hard enough.  Even drove well past dark with only fog lights (they're useless).  It was my first time with the coach at night. 🤪

Make sure you pull it past the parking light position.

Good luck,

- bob