C 13 won’t start

Hello, I have a C13 Monaco just changed out the fuel filter. I’ve done this before with no problems or issues. Before I reinstall the new filter I filled it with fuel just like I’ve done in the past. It cranks over really good but will not start. I have a full fuel tank of gas. Thanks kevin

I just went through this too. I assume you turned the key on and let the pump prone. Should run about 60 seconds or so. May have to try this a few times before trying to start it .  I ended up removing filters and topping them off and the it started. Good luck 

edit**** just realized you have a cat and not a Cummins. Yours may be different. Sorry about that.

Edited by ncsteve

I also went through this (Cummins ISC) but didn't fill the primary filter.  It took LOTS of tries of turning the key, waiting 30 sec, then cranking for 10 sec (which seems like an eternity).  I also waited a 60 sec between tries.  After maybe 10? cycles of this it eventually it started.

Which begs the question . . . . How do you store a small amount of diesel for priming without it going bad?  Presuming an air-tight container, how long can it be stored?  Will it store better in a refrigerator? 

Best,

- bob

I agree. Cycle the key on for 30 seconds and then off. Do this several times.

You may have to slightly loosen the fuel hose coming out of the filter. 

Then cycle the key on until you see fuel coming out.

Good luck these can be a bear.

Guest Ray Davis

He has a Cat engine.  I don't know about a C13 but my small cat engine didn't have an elect pump like my Cummins doe, instead mine had a hand operated pump mounted on top of the engine.  It was a small knob about the size of the park brake knob.  I would have to unscrew the knob and pump like crazy to prime it.

Cat engines have what they call HEUI.  What it does is use oil pressure to pump the fuel.  So it has to spin well enough to build oil pressure.

With that said I would use an air blower nozzle with a rag to hold some pressure and put a little pressure in the fuel fill pipe, maybe get someone to crack the line at          the out put of the second filter while you apply the pressure until fuel come out the tighten the line.    You don't want very much pressure, go easy.

Have you rechecked the filters to make sure everything is good there?

Thanks Everyone,it ended up being a blown fuse in the rear run box. I replaced the fuse and it started right up. But I still wanted to find out why it did that I started wiggling the wires on the fuel water separator sensor and the engine die and blew the fuse immediately.I unplugged fuel water separator plug and  put a new fuse in fired right back up I need to replace my fuel water separator pigtail three wire.  I think what happen is whoever replaced the filter prior to me probably didn’t unplug the pigtail and just screw it into the bottom of the filter they just twisted the wires and eventually they shorted out. good thing it happened in my driveway and not on the road. Thanks Kevin

• Like 1