Monaco coach value trends

We've had our 2002 Monaco Windsor for two years now and I am curious if the value of our coach has gone up?  After looking around on RV Trader it would see that it has but I think some of you on this site may be closer to the real market.

Tony, we have a 2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, which we purchased from the original owner in 2017 with 19,000 miles on it.  Values have gone up on used rigs the last couple of years due to dealers selling a lot if new rigs to people with no trade-ins resulting in shortages of used rigs.  I have had dealers call me about buying my coach and also emails from large dealers saying they're paying high prices for used rigs.  However,  IMHO I think they are going to nose dive once some of these newbies find out how much it costs to operate an RV as well as how often things break.  This is just my opinion.  

59 minutes ago, Tony G said:

We've had our 2002 Monaco Windsor for two years now and I am curious if the value of our coach has gone up?  After looking around on RV Trader it would see that it has but I think some of you on this site may be closer to the real market.

RV is only worth what someone will pay for it. That said, a lot depends on size and location. Big 40’ wete cheaper than the smaller ones. It took me 6-8 months of looking before I bought mine. I’d like to think it’s up 15k, but I’ll have that into it LOL. 

Big dealer here in Oregon has billboards across the state offering “top dollar” and there are very few DP out here for sale. Condition is everything as well. 

BTW, my 02 Dip, Paid 32k sight unseen. Had a buddy go make sure everything worked and it didn’t stink. Wired money and he took it home. Drove 16 hours to get it. 

I too look for a pull back when people get tired of paying for storage and start calculating actual costs of ownership.

It’s now or never to sell if you want out 

Edited by JDCrow

Yes, people are asking more $$ than what they paid and used asking prices are up probably 20% for the big Monaco DPs, but asking and getting are two different things. 
I see listings for 08 Navigators from way more to slightly less than what I paid 3 years ago for ours... $165K. Helped our daughter buy a nice 06 Navigator 45’ for $110K... most are $30K+ or more. Deals are out there but you have to act fast. Saw a 07 Navigator for $200K... good luck.

we just purchased our 2006 Camelot 42dsq, they were asking over retail but they (dealer) were having a hard time selling it because it was over 100k and everyone wanting it needed to finance it and their loans were requiring 30% or more down which all didn't have, we paid cash and got it below retail.  Sat for 2 months on their lot, they had it under contract 5 times before we came along with cash.....so if you can find a cash buyer or one with lots of $$'s down you can get what ever your ask is.  We sold our 2001 National Dolphin (gasser) for 14k over NADA, but it was a cash buyer and we had done a ton to it and it was mint, keep in mind this one was $28k so easier to get that kind of cash buyer vs $100k or more cash buyer

• Like 1

Stacy^^^ you need to check for additional bracing on the front cap. Without these additional braces,  breaking the windshield is a known problem, especially using auto leveling. Otherwise a 06 is a good rig.

Thank you all for your insight.  I no longer keep a sticks and bricks home in the US and live nearly 100% on our sailing boat (we're currently in Dominica headed back to Trinidad) but I use my rig to visit customers in the US and keep it for that utility.  We did spend most of last year living and enjoying traveling in it during the COVID event as ocean travel was severely impacted but I didn't visit many customers.  I love our bus but debate in my mind if it makes sense to keep it if COVID mess continues on.  If I were to sell I'll could buy another one later when needed but I dread debugging another land yacht.

1 hour ago, Tony G said:

Thank you all for your insight.  I no longer keep a sticks and bricks home in the US and live nearly 100% on our sailing boat (we're currently in Dominica headed back to Trinidad) but I use my rig to visit customers in the US and keep it for that utility.  We did spend most of last year living and enjoying traveling in it during the COVID event as ocean travel was severely impacted but I didn't visit many customers.  I love our bus but debate in my mind if it makes sense to keep it if COVID mess continues on.  If I were to sell I'll could buy another one later when needed but I dread debugging another land yacht.

Debugging, wife has forbid me from taking another used coach that needs work down the road. It’s new, or someone else does the work she says. 

Awesome on the boat life. Some true freedom to be had. 

Just a little food for thought: new coaches have lots of problems, but as you stated that would be someone else's problem under warranty.  However, I have been reading about and hearing horror stories about people buying new and having it in the shop for months at a time because dealers can't get parts.   Folks are saying that after 2010 the quality has gone downhill.

2 minutes ago, Wrayj1 said:

Just a little food for thought: new coaches have lots of problems, but as you stated that would be someone else's problem under warranty.  However, I have been reading about and hearing horror stories about people buying new and having it in the shop for months at a time because dealers can't get parts.   Folks are saying that after 2010 the quality has gone downhill.

Trust me, I know. My Wife takes time to come around. We are a good 2-3 years with the Dip, from there who knows where life takes us. I’m a pre-Def/Dpf believer. So really 08 or older. I’m also a big block believer  (Don’t hate me 5.9ers) 

Country Coach is high on my list. But like OP said, prices are CRAZY now. 

4 hours ago, Wrayj1 said:

Ha! Kind of like new boats...fraught with problems and when you leave the US getting parts in many places is impossible.  We bring loads of spares for our 40 year old cutter which takes up lots of storage space but its nice to have when we or some other cruiser needs it.  We say that "cruising is fixing your boat in exotic places" and I guess the same holds true for traveling with the motorcoach.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 9:10 AM, JDCrow said:

...wife has forbid me from taking another used coach that needs work down the road. It’s new, or someone else does the work she says. 

But, but, but... that's what we DO.

I get constant sales reports on RV's every month from industry sources and associations our companies belong to. Some news releases are misleading when they say " RV Sales sky rocket " - " Used RV Prices see increase ". The RV market is highly segmented. Big buses ( Prevost, Newells, Foretravels ), Diesel Pushers, gas coaches, 5th wheels, trailers, Class C's and Super C's. ( I wont waste my time dissecting towables and other RV's as it doesn't pertain to this group ). In regards to sales, these different classes of RV's are further categorized according to price points - $ 500 K and up, $ 250 - 500 K, $ 150 - 250 K, $ 90 K - 150 K, $ 40 K - 90 K. All of these price categories obviously all relate to consumers buying power or individual classes in which a large segment of the population can afford.

With that said the biggest recent price increases have come with older coaches in the price range of $ 40 - 90 K. The main reason is a larger part of the population can afford them. Once you get over $ 100 K your market of potential buyers shrinks. When you get over $ 250 K it really shrinks and when you get over $ 500 K your market of potential buyers is very small.

From all the recent reports I have seen the biggest price increases have come in the $ 40 - 90 K price range. Older coaches that were selling for $ 40 grand 2 years ago are now commanding higher prices. While prices for all RV's has gone up there are smaller increases on coaches with higher price tags. To be honest I am shocked at some of the prices for older coaches. Even my own coach ( 05 ) which was valued at $ 45 two years ago has shot up $ 20 K. 

This is the best advice I can give to a coach owner who is interested in selling. If you are contemplating getting out of RV'ing, now is the time to sell. If you are looking at simply trading coaches tread lightly. While you may get more money out of your current coach, you will pay more for the next one. I anticipate a correction in prices in 2022-23. Values are going to drop significantly and then find a happy place where they will stabilize. 

Kind of strange that we all own depreciating assets and we all knew when we bought our coaches that values would sink like a rock over time. Yet here we are and many of us guys with older coaches are seeing appreciating values. I would have never guessed this 2 years ago. 🙂

Chris, thanks for a good breakdown of what’s happening.

Supposedly NADA prices are just a percentage adjustment based on age… not based on sales. Currently the prices on 06-08 Monaco Exes, Sigs, and HR Navigators values (only ones I check) are back up to what they were 3 years ago.