Alaska - A great year to travel the North

We are wandering around Alaska in a rental 24’ Thor Chateau class C.  No crowds, no air conditioning, campgrounds are empty.  The little camper is great as it fits anywhere.  We mostly stay in the boonies or friends driveways.  It did get into the low 70’s for a couple of days but normally we are wearing everything we brought to stay warm.  I’ve been told that all rentals are sold out up here, RV’s and Cars.  I made the reservation in February.

A friend of mine was getting ready to fly up to go fishing out of Homer.  Had the flights & fishing charter booked but when they checked on car rentals they could not find any and had to cancel the whole trip.  They were also advised that there were a lot of scams going on for car rental and were told to be careful if they booked one.

I’ve been hearing daily rates of $300 and up for cars when you do find one.  This may be the best year ever for RV touring.  Lots of businesses closed due to no help.  Kids from all over the world that normally work the summer are not coming.  Booney camping is not affected by any of that.

We have been waiting to see when Canada opens up the border once again so we can plan our fourth trip to Alaska with the coach. We haven't been there since 2015 and miss seeing my sons and grand-kids. I did get to fly up for a couple of weeks just before the pandemic hit big time in March of 2020 but I'd rather spend the entire summer visiting with my family, usually two months with each son, one in Fairbanks and one in Anchorage.

Every time we go up we always take a side trip to both Seward and Homer. While in Seward we take a Kenai Fjords National Park boat tour and while in Homer I always book a Halibut fishing trip with my favorite charter and captain, North Country Halibut Charters  with Captain Ben.

Photo of my last trip there in 2015.

IMG_5952.JPG

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

We have been waiting to see when Canada opens up the border once again so we can plan our fourth trip to Alaska with the coach. We haven't been there since 2015 and miss seeing my sons and grand-kids. I did get to fly up for a couple of weeks just before the pandemic hit big time in March of 2020 but I'd rather spend the entire summer visiting with my family, usually two months with each son, one in Fairbanks and one in Anchorage.

Every time we go up we always take a side trip to both Seward and Homer. While in Seward we take a Kenai Fjords National Park boat tour and while in Homer I always book a Halibut fishing trip with my favorite charter and captain, North Country Halibut Charters  with Captain Ben.

Photo of my last trip there in 2015.

IMG_5952.JPG

Nice, fore some reason when we went to Alaska in 2009 I no interest in fishing.  I was satisfied with seeing the sights/scenery.