Replacing IOTA Transfer Switch- Ground Wires Now Too Short

AlanC2

I'm in the process of switching over from the IOTA Transfer Switch to the ESCO LPT50BRD in our 02 Windsor PST, and while the process has been fairly easy so far, I've run into a problem.  In the old IOTA, the ground wires for the Shore Power, Generator, and Panel each had terminals next to the HOT 1, HOT 2, and Neutral connections.  The ESCO has a terminal block mounted on the side for the for the chassis ground and other grounds to connect to.  Unfortunately, the ground wires for the generator and the electrical panel connections are too short to reach.  There is not enough wire to pull more into the box. Is there a "safe" way to extend these wires (using the same size solid copper wire and some kind of connectors) to reach the terminal, or does the ground have to be one continuous wire?

Thanks in advance.

AlanC2

02 Windsor PST

Alan, I just did mine last weekend. I used the WFCO 57-R because the wire location and layout was the same. There is enough slack if you remove the wire straps, then install them on new transfer before you fasten it down. Here are my before and after. 

F9DFE6C2-8994-4807-8B35-EC2AD602362F.jpeg

E39972D9-FA01-483A-B234-A6558B8642E3.jpeg

69DFC960-B453-47A3-9C5E-9CA586486709.jpeg

E2D697C1-D649-46AD-A68E-900C2051CEB5.jpeg

They make copper split bolts for solid wire or you can use a solid crimp style butt connector which is better looking to give you a clean look. Check the big box stores they have them. 
I like the fact that they lay out really close.

Edited by tmw188
  • Like 1

Guest Dive Dive

I just replaced mine with the Esco LPT50BRD and had the same issue.  I bought some additional wire of the same gauge and use a heavy copper butt connector to extend.   Works excellent. 

14 hours ago, AlanC2 said:

I'm in the process of switching over from the IOTA Transfer Switch to the ESCO LPT50BRD in our 02 Windsor PST, and while the process has been fairly easy so far, I've run into a problem.  In the old IOTA, the ground wires for the Shore Power, Generator, and Panel each had terminals next to the HOT 1, HOT 2, and Neutral connections.  The ESCO has a terminal block mounted on the side for the for the chassis ground and other grounds to connect to.  Unfortunately, the ground wires for the generator and the electrical panel connections are too short to reach.  There is not enough wire to pull more into the box. Is there a "safe" way to extend these wires (using the same size solid copper wire and some kind of connectors) to reach the terminal, or does the ground have to be one continuous wire?

Thanks to those who responded!  I've decided to go with a copper split bolt to extend the grounds.  

AlanC2

02 Windsor PST

14 hours ago, AlanC2 said:

• 10 months later...

I recently replaced the IOTA transfer switch with the ESCO LPT50BRD transfer switch. Like the OP, the ground wires for the generator and load panel connections were too short to reach the common ground busbar of the new LPT50BRD. In my case, I only needed an extra 3 inches for the ground wires to reach the busbar. 

Rather than use a splice, I solved this by using the existing slack in both cable runs. The extra length was easily achieved by removing the factory applied foam sealant in the cabinet wall and then pulling the required slack into the compartment. Connections were completed and I applied Great Stuff Fire Block Insulating Foam. 

IMG_3034.JPG

IMG_3035.JPG

IMG_3036.JPG