Battery Temperature Sensor

FishAR

I put in a new Magnum 2012-20B today. Now my batteries are charging unlike before and everything seems to be working well, I'll check it in the morning to make sure.
The only thing is I checked the battery temp on the remote and it still shows 151C which is 300 something Fahrenheit. I know that's not right.

I got a new sensor and wire with the new magnum. Problem is the inverter is about 20 ft from the battery bank. I pulled on the telephone wire and there's no give there so it doesn't look like I can run the sensor with the new wire connected.

I was wondering if I could splice the new magnum sensor into the old telephone wire run. Some sort of phone wire connector splice?

The old sensor looks nothing like the new one and it looks ratty as all get out.

Showing that temperature may indicate a short in the sensor or wire. I'd disconnect the sensor and see what the temperature indication shows. If it drops to something like a reasonable temperature reading just leave it disconnected.

If you want to connect the new one you can splice in additional wire without fear: the temperature sensors are normally just a thermistor and have no special requirements as far as wiring is concerned. Plain old telephone extension wire should work fine.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FishAR said:

I was wondering if I could splice the new magnum sensor into the old telephone wire run. Some sort of phone wire connector splice?

Short answer: Yes. I’ve done it.  

Make sure you match the color sequence of the wires. 

I cut the wire and added RJ-11 plugs on each end with a phone jack crimp tool, then used a double-female phone connector. You don’t have to use this (I already had everything on hand)…. Just make sure your connections are secure, insulated, and somewhat resistant to vibration.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scotty Hutto said:

Short answer: Yes. I’ve done it.  

Make sure you match the color sequence of the wires. 

I cut the wire and added RJ-11 plugs on each end with a phone jack crimp tool, then used a double-female phone connector. You don’t have to use this (I already had everything on hand)…. Just make sure your connections are secure, insulated, and somewhat resistant to vibration.  

Thanks much! I went ahead and ordered the tool even though I'll probably only use it once. Tool, ends, connector for $20. Worth it for peace of mind.

I know I could just leave it unplugged but I feel better having everything connected.