Duo Therm Penguin Squirrel Cage Squealing Noise

Fired up the coach this afternoon in preparation for a trip in two weeks.   Everything looked and sounded great until I turned on the 19yr old Duo Therm Penguins on the roof.  The front 13,500 unit circulation fan immediately began squealing.   As soon as the rain clears in the next day or so I'm going to pull of the cover to see whats come loose.  Does anyone know if parts are still available for these old units?  I may need a new motor or fan.  I'd also like an exploded view and listing of parts available.

Gary B. 

2002 Windsor PBDD

You should be able to get parts, I use this site to find part numbers and then do a general search for availability and price. https://www.edometic.com/allusr/sp.nsf/spcac?ReadForm

Back about 5 years ago my front AC started to pull higher amps and occasionally kick the breaker.  It was also louder.  So I pulled the shroud and found that I could barely rotate the motor, the bearings were almost locked up and no way to lubricate.  So I ordered a new motor and installed.  What I found also was that the rubber mounting isolators for the motor were wore out letting the squirrel cage motor hit the metal.  New rubber isolators came with the motor kit.  While it was apart I cleaned everything good and washed fan blade, it had a good amount of built up dirt.  Put everything back together and its still working. 

WOW!!!  What does one expect from a 19 year old air conditioner?  Use your search engine google, I use duck duck go, to find any parts you might need.  I trust you included your roof airs in your annual preventive maintenance program.  Be sure to list your year and model air unit.  I would opt for a new unit instead of throwing money into a old unit that will continue to fail down the road.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

OP, your motor mounts are probably shot letting the squirrel cage hit BUT it’s not on the circumference, it’s on the side as there’s plenty of clearance on the circumference.

Was able to shim the motor mount up enough to free up for probably 5 years but started dragging again. That’s when I figured out it was hitting between the side of the squirrel cage and the sheet metal housing. Moving the squirrel cage further from the motor solved the problem even with shot rubber motor mounts on a 04 Dynasty.

To many of the new and improved units make it just past their warranty when they stop working. 
You can also oil the bearings by drilling a small hole into the area where the bearings are mounted. Easier to do when you have the squirrel cage loose (off of) the shaft.

Edited by Ivylog

I guess when my motor failed ~5 years ago I could have opted to replace the whole unit but the motor only cost me $125 at the time.  Seems like a decent ROI considering what a new unit costs. 

I have read reports of newer units not lasting that long and limited inventory, so it seems like a crap shoot. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the replies and ideas.  I hope to get out to the storage area tomorrow if it's not raining.  I have not been able to find a replacement motor, they are on back order on the sites I found.  I hope to learn more when i get the cover off.  

Gary B.

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD

On 7/8/2021 at 8:48 AM, Ivylog said:

OP, your motor mounts are probably shot letting the squirrel cage hit BUT it’s not on the circumference, it’s on the side as there’s plenty of clearance on the circumference.

The blower motor is mounted on rubber isolators. When these collapse it can allow contact. Kits are available; I bought one several months ago. I'm sure there's nothing special about the rubber bushings and I'd bet they have similar in stock at mcmaster carr.

Cheers

Walter

Update:  I removed the cover and was able to spin the motor shaft freely without any scraping or squealing.  Not sure what was causing the noise but it's gone now.  Ran the unit for 45 minutes cycling it on/off several times and no problems.  I Imagine I'm going to have to change the rubber isolation mounts as they are probably worn after 19 years.  To be honest I'm surprised both the 20 year old units are still working.

Gary B.

2002 Monaco Windsor PBDD