Alternator replaced now out again

Hancoman

I have a 2001 executive with the 500hp Cummins. My alternator went out after 53000 miles, took it to my mechanic and he put in a new one. So we headed to the Oregon coast about 130 miles away everything was working fine for about 60 miles then it quit working. Any ideas what my problem might be. Thanks 

Everything I have read about the alternator on this site was you need to rebuild it, do not exchange. I had my alternator bearings going bad on mine last year and my mechanic wanted to replace, I insisted on a rebuild. Still going strong with the rebuilt alternator

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, flyinghi said:

Everything I have read about the alternator on this site was you need to rebuild it, do not exchange. I had my alternator bearings going bad on mine last year and my mechanic wanted to replace, I insisted on a rebuild. Still going strong with the rebuilt alternator

I bought a new replacement on E-bay and it work flawless....Maybe a replacement could or could not be the issue. I would first check the voltage at the alternator side first while the engine is running.

We should have a Monaco top 10 !

- Tires - every (so many years)

- Alternator - Rebuild only

- Max speed - 63 miles per hour

- Do not crawl under the coach unless you are qualified and have the correct supports

- Aqua hot - Service annually

- Do no top up motor with oil! It has reached its sweet spot,if it is low check for leaks or it probably needs to be serviced

- service annually,  no matter how much you use it

- if you want to own one of these rigs you better start putting a minimum of $ 600.00/ month into a coach fund, that is no joke ( for newbies)

Wayne

1999 Signature Caesar 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Check to see if the 'Duvac' is wired properly.  I had my alternator replaced last year and they wired the Duvac wrong.  Put the wires on the posts they fit, which was wrong.  Once we figured that out no problems.  Also learned to rebuild not replace.

Having a hard time understand how you can have no charge and still have charged batteries.  Did you have another source of charging?  

I would start by measuring the voltage at the chassis battery when the engine is running.  If not over 14 Volts, check the voltage at the output of the alternator, right on the back of the alternator.  

If an incorrect alternator was installed, i.e., one without a DUVAC input, that would be a problem.  Also, I've found many times the alternators are wired incorrectly.  There are three wires, besides the huge cables for Pos & Neg output, that need to be connected correctly.  They are the ALT-FAIL circuit (also may feed the tach) which is often Gray, the Ignition wire (hot when the key is turned on) and the Voltage Sense wire which should be connected to the Chassis Battery.  

It was the right alternator we drove across country and back it worked fine

Here is the rest of the story. I use a small diesel shop for my repairs, when they finished my coach they went on vacation texted me my coach was ready and where I could find my keys. Picked it up and a week later took our short trip to the coast and the alternator failed again after about 50 miles. When I returned home I had my bill in the mail with explanation of work. Sent alternator in for repair under warranty, manufacturer repaired but they think my house batteries are bad or there is short somewhere so they will not repair again, information I wish I had before my trip. I will replace my house batteries and have my alternator rebuilt. Question is how do I check to make sure there isn’t a short somewhere before I take it out again