Suburban gas/electric wh not working on gas.

michaelivan

The Suburban water heater in our 2003 Windsor suddenly quit working on gas.  Worked fine last night but when we tried to turn it on this morning...nothing.  I have checked and replaced both fuses ( in the fuse panel and under the counter).  Power to the switch but nothing happens at the water heater itself.  Where should I look next?

1 hour ago, michaelivan said:

The Suburban water heater in our 2003 Windsor suddenly quit working on gas.  Worked fine last night but when we tried to turn it on this morning...nothing.  I have checked and replaced both fuses ( in the fuse panel and under the counter).  Power to the switch but nothing happens at the water heater itself.  Where should I look next?

Do you hear it trying ? To ignite?

So you turned it off last night ? 

Do you turn it off every night?

Doesn't your thermostat work ?

2 hours ago, michaelivan said:

The gas is on?  Can you hear it try to ignite?  There is water in the water tank, right?  Does it work on 120VAC?  

If it tries but does not ignite, check to see if the ignition box is clean.

If you can't hear it, are your batteries up or low?  The water heater needs 12V to ignite.

I ask this because the water heater does have an overtemp feature that will need to be reset if it over heated.

If it will run on 120VAC then it is a gas related only issue but could be low 12V.

When I was getting my rig ready to travel I tested the WH on gas, it would ignite but not stay lit.  What finally fixed it was that I took the control board out, disconnected the wiring harness.  It was mounted behind the water heater on the wall.  When I was taking it out I saw water drip from it.  So I took it to the workbench and used a heat gun and dried it out.  That got it working.  May not be your problem if the water heater was not trying to ignite.

Then when I was on the trip the water heater didn't light one day, I panicked.  Started to check fuses, checked power to the switch.  Couldn't figure it out and put everything back together.  I went to bed and when I got up I flipped the switch and it came on.  Evidently the water was hot and it wouldn't turn the water heater on, probably overridden by the thermostat. 

• Like 1

In order, does not try to ignite.  Turned if off last night as always after showering. Turn it off every night. Does not have an adjustable external thermostat. Gas is on...cook top works. Seems to be working fine on A/C. Hooked to shore power showing 13.1 volts.  Reset button makes no difference. There is 12v power to and thru the wall switch. If it is the control board and it is mounted to the back of the w/h, then it is almost impossible to access for an old fat guy in my 40PST since the back of the water heater can only be accessed thru the power bay.  Will have to give that a try.

8 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

When I was getting my rig ready to travel I tested the WH on gas, it would ignite but not stay lit.  What finally fixed it was that I took the control board out, disconnected the wiring harness.  It was mounted behind the water heater on the wall.  When I was taking it out I saw water drip from it.  So I took it to the workbench and used a heat gun and dried it out.  That got it working.  May not be your problem if the water heater was not trying to ignite.

Then when I was on the trip the water heater didn't light one day, I panicked.  Started to check fuses, checked power to the switch.  Couldn't figure it out and put everything back together.  I went to bed and when I got up I flipped the switch and it came on.  Evidently the water was hot and it wouldn't turn the water heater on, probably overridden by the thermostat. 

Good point

Reading the rv forum's the past 20 some year's 

Many rv ers don't understand how the thermostat works.

Especially on multiple power appliances 

Like aqua hots and hot water heaters. 

Many only turn the appliances on when they want heat or hot water.

Thinking the unit is burning or heating ( constantly ) 24/7 and that they save propane,  diesel or DC battery power.