odometer difficult to read

Just now, monacowner said:

Hi Jim! I have the same problem. I just take a picture of it with my phone and then stretch it out to make it bigger / more clear.

Ha! I do that too! But not while I'm driving. I often check the trip meter, which I reset when I fill the tank, to get a feel for how much further we can go before refueling.

• Like 1

You would need to confirm if your Cummins has OBD (note:  Not OBDII).  I would think a 2002 does.  It should be a round Deutsch connector near the steering column, possibly at the base.  Then you would have to confirm what communications protocol it supports as your year (same as my Newmar's year) is about when things switched from J1708 to J1939.  Once knowing that, then look at Bluefire bluetooth adapters.

Edited by DavidL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidL said:

You would need to confirm if your Cummins has OBD (note:  Not OBDII).  I would think a 2002 does.  It should be a round Deutsch connector near the steering column, possibly at the base.  Then you would have to confirm what communications protocol it supports as your year (same as my Newmar's year) is about when things switched from J1708 to J1939.  Once knowing that, then look at Bluefire bluetooth adapters.

I'm fairly confident our coach does not have OBD. The only diagnostics port I'm aware of is the only one mentioned in manual for our coach: the round 9-pin (J1939) port with the word "ENGINE" at the rear below the oil dipstick. I have spent way too many hours under the dashboard, and have never found a port there. I would love to be proved wrong, but....

Or is it possible to plug a Bluetooth adapter into that for a scan tool up front?

a 9 Pin Deutsch connector IS OBD.  It is NOT OBDII.

9 Pin is typically J1939 protocol (it may also have J1708).

OBD is On Board Diagnostics.  Many different generations / types.

OBDII is one particular flavor (US Gas vehicles)

On Most J1939 vehicles, the round connector is also at the base of the steering column.  but look around within a foot of the column.

You may be able to use the one at the back, but bluetooth does not have very long range so it is unlikely it will reach up front.  Not aware of a bluetooth "repeater" either.

When I get around to it, I will have a solution for the issue, but it will be much more comprehensive than what you are asking for.

Edited by DavidL

On 9/1/2021 at 8:58 PM, Jim McGarvie said:

This has been an issue since we brought the coach home from the factory 20 years ago. It probably hasn't gotten worse, but my eyesight has. Has anyone experienced this problem and found a solution? Can't make it any larger, but a stronger backlight might help.

Thanks.

Jim

One of the most aggravating design features of the coach. In the daytime I can lean close and might be able to read it. Even then the angle causes 1s and 7s to be indistinguishable. At night, forget it. 

On 9/2/2021 at 8:58 AM, DavidL said:

a 9 Pin Deutsch connector IS OBD.  It is NOT OBDII.

9 Pin is typically J1939 protocol (it may also have J1708).

OBD is On Board Diagnostics.  Many different generations / types.

OBDII is one particular flavor (US Gas vehicles)

On Most J1939 vehicles, the round connector is also at the base of the steering column.  but look around within a foot of the column.

You may be able to use the one at the back, but bluetooth does not have very long range so it is unlikely it will reach up front.  Not aware of a bluetooth "repeater" either.

When I get around to it, I will have a solution for the issue, but it will be much more comprehensive than what you are asking for.

Thanks for the clarification, David. I should have realized the Deutsch connector at the rear of the coach was a type of OBD. How does one go about determining whether a port is J1939 or J1708?

You would contact Cummins company with your VIN  / engine serial number and ask them.  Yours (like mine) is too close to the transition from one to the other.

If 9 pin, likely J1939.  But mine is 9 pin and is J1708 (older protocol).

From Cummins:

"There was a gradual shift from J1708 to J1939 between 2004 and 2007. Any engines prior to 2004 are most likely to be exclusively J1708. Engines from 2004 – 2007 are likely to have both protocols available. After 2007 it’s most likely going to be J1939 (with the odd exception). The ISX has been around for some time, so check the engine manufacture date to get a better idea of the communication protocol, rather than the engine model."

8 minutes ago, DavidL said:

You would contact Cummins company with your VIN  / engine serial number and ask them.  Yours (like mine) is too close to the transition from one to the other.

If 9 pin, likely J1939.  But mine is 9 pin and is J1708 (older protocol).

From Cummins:

"There was a gradual shift from J1708 to J1939 between 2004 and 2007. Any engines prior to 2004 are most likely to be exclusively J1708. Engines from 2004 – 2007 are likely to have both protocols available. After 2007 it’s most likely going to be J1939 (with the odd exception). The ISX has been around for some time, so check the engine manufacture date to get a better idea of the communication protocol, rather than the engine model."

Thanks David.