Relays between the electrical panels. What are they for?

Joe Lee

Hello Friends!

Does anyone know what the relays are for that are located between the electrical panels?  I think the top to control the electric element in my Aquahot, but that element isn’t working. 

Any ideas are appreciated!

Joe 

21EBC680-BDB1-46A9-A4DC-E7F3A25B20F5.jpeg

I have a 1996 Monaco Crown Royale Signature. I have 2 A/Cs and a washer with separate dryer. A/Cs and washer/dryer work well. I’m on this quest because I can not get the electric element working in my Aquahot. I can hear the top 2 relays ‘click’ and I can see them move. But, still no power to the element. The element tested at 8.7 ohms so I believe it is good. 

So, just trying to see what these relays do and then figure out if they are working correctly. 
 Thanks!!

I am certainly not the electrician in the crowd, but I think those are transfer switches...technically not relays.  depending on the source of power, ie shore, genset or inverter they switch appropriately.  Of course, I could be completely wrong.  Jim

• Like 2

Joe,

You are quickly finding out that if you don't supply the supporting information in your quest to solve this problem, coach year, make and model, along with specific component brand and model then you receive more questions than answers.

I doubt that your Aqua-Hot is a newer model 600D where you would have TWO 120 VAC heating elements unless the old one was replaced at one time, possible but highly unlikely. Therefore, generally there is only one relay that takes care of the one 120 VAC heating element. The fact that you hear the relay(s) click when you turn on the small low voltage 12 VDC switch for the Aqua-Hot Electric Assist is good thing but you still need to check it out to make sure that they are working correctly and passing the 120 VAC properly to the Aqua-Hot. Now why you have TWO that you hear activating is something that I cannot answer. Possibly back in 1993 they did things differently than in 2002.

My 2002 coach has two hidden relays, one for the Aqua-Hot Electric Assist discussed above and one for the engine Block Heater duplex located back in the engine compartment. That relay is activated by generally a dash mounted switch at the driver's seat labeled Block Heat. Why you have four is a mystery to me but now that they are uncovered you can test various 120 VAC systems to determine what the four relays are used for.

• Like 1

First my disclaimer: I am not familiar with the 96 Crown Royal electrical system.  However, looking at the location and positioning between the 2 AC panels here are my thoughts.  It looks like they are transfer relays that switch the 4 inverter circuits.  The panel on the left is the inverter sub-panel and the one on the right is the main AC panel.  Thus, when the main power is lost the relays switch the circuits to the inverter sub-panel.  You need to check this out.  I don't know what a 96 CR had for an inverter, but on 2000~ and newer units the transfer relay is inside the inverter.  Thus, have the coach connected to shore power with all the circuits on and check the voltage at the relays.  Now turn off the circuit that supplies the inverter power, or the main power in the main panel and listen for the relays to close and check the voltages. Now turn off a circuit in the sub-panel and check voltages.  Then see where you have lost power in the coach.  You can do this with all the circuits in the sub-panel.

Thanks everyone for the advice!  And, I will provide the details on which coach I have the next time I ask a question. Rookie mistake on my part. 

I’m going to take what I have learned from each of you and try again. 

Thanks for taking your time to help me out!

Joe

97 Dynasty

Those relays act as Transfer Switches between Shore Power and Inverter Power.

Three are 120VAC relays and one is a 12 VDC Relay.

When on Shore Power the three relays are activated and pass 120VAC into the coach, with NO shore power, the relays are de-activated and connect to the Inverter.

On my coach, the 12 VDC relay switches 120VAC between the Microwave and 120VAC Hot Water Heater. You cannot run both at the same time, if running Microwave, must have Inverter running to operate the Hot Water Heater.

Simple drawing attached.

120 VAC SYSTEM Cad.jpg