Black Tank Treatment

Guest bobstromain

As someone who holds a State license in water treatment I will mention one word here - digestive enzymes. This is what breaks down solids. I wont bore you with the chemistry behind it.

You can use black tank treatments of all kinds till the cows come home. If it does not contain digestive enzymes they wont work. Some black tank treatment products have them, some are nothing more then perfume to make your waste smell good. There are products on the market that are loaded with enzymes, one in particular is made by Thetford called " Tank Blaster". This is a black tank treatment you use now and then to clean the tank. It is nothing more then digestive enzymes on steroids. Just follow the directions on the product.

Over the years I have heard of all kinds of products and methods. One of my favorites is a mixture of dawn, pine sol and some other household product. I had the displeasure of changing out a waste tank valve for a customer once that had the center of the valve ate out of it because of these crazy concoctions. One of my favorite suggestions I have read about is dosing your black tank with a big bag of ice cubes and drive around the block. 🙂

Enzymes folks. Lots of digestive enzymes will do the trick.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, throgmartin said:

One of my favorite suggestions I have read about is dosing your black tank with a big bag of ice cubes and drive around the block. 

🙂

Your just not driving aggressively enough to allow the ice to do it's job!

You have to zig-zag hard enough to occasionally get the coach up on two wheels!! 🤠

5 hours ago, throgmartin said:

One of my favorites is a mixture of dawn, pine sol and some other household product. I had the displeasure of changing out a waste tank valve for a customer once that had the center of the valve ate out of it because of these crazy concoctions.

I had heard that cocktail makes a great black tank cleaner and flush.  Evidently someone thought if it makes a good flush it'll be even better just left in the tank. 

I agree on the enzyme approach. 

or....

(completely hypothetical - would never ACTUALLY do it) :) 

1. Plumb macerator with a remote dash switch into your tank outlet. 
  2. Connect output of macerator to hidden output nozzle on back of RV 
  3. Wait for insistent tailgaters who can't/won't get the message
  4. Press macerator button
  5. Tank no longer needs dumping
  6. Tailgaters keep a safe distance.
  7. Note: Concealed carry permit probably a good idea.

Think Sean Connery James Bond DB car with the "OIL SLICK" button.

image.thumb.png.e5251996a43a7fd4de1b10fa677d1abc.png

Edited by StellaTariche
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2022 at 2:36 PM, willbo777 said:

Just to add our two cents.  We have been doing this for more than 25 years, and full timing for over 17.  At first we followed the toilet paper wars, which one broke down better etc.  Then later we used and still use regular TP, we are constantly on the move except for 4 months in Florida for the winter so the tanks get sloshed a lot.  Your house your rules is your business, but in this house there is no way the TP isn't going in the toilet!  We also add Happy Camper to the black tank.  We dump about once a week, we leave the gray open until a day before dumping, then close the gray valve, my wife does a couple loads of wash, a few showers etc and the gray tank is full.  Then using our Sani-Con we dump the black then leaving the black valve open, open the gray to allow gray into the black tank, about 25%, then close the gray, and dump the black again, we do that until 25% is left in the gray tank and then close the black, and open the gray and pump the rest of the gray through the hose.  Every month we use the black tank washer several fills, no problems so far, no plugs, no masses of TP, we have a clear section at the Sani-Con so we can see, no smells, works good.  JMO

Exactly the way we did it 10 years full timing.

I recently watched this video: 

It’s a long video but has some good information from the owner of a chain of tank flush companies with many years of experience cleaning out black and gray tanks. 

In short, lots of water is the key; use any type of toilet paper and no need to use tank treatment. If you just have to use “something”, put 40 oz of Pinesol in a gallon container with 11 oz Calgon Pearls and fill with water. Use 1/2 cup after each time you empty, both tanks, and leave the valves closed. 

Edited by tomevansfl