Weight/Pressure per tire/TPMS/Tire Valve Extensions

millionroy

On 2/17/2022 at 7:51 AM, Roger 2006 HR Endeavor PDQ said:

FYI for everyone. The Ramblin' Pushers owns a two-pad truck scale and can measure weight of each axle end separately. This service is offered at the time of arrival. The coach weighing crew can measure roadside and curbside weights for the steer, drive, and tag axles. We do request a $20 donation to pay for the annual maintenance and calibration of the scales. 

As part of our Educational Program, we offer a seminar on the subject of tire safety and how to use the measurements and the tire manufacturer's data sheet to set the tire pressure for each axle (not each wheel). We also discuss tire safety in general with topics like when to replace tires, and other equipment that is available to prevent or assist in the event of a blowout. We try to avoid the subject of "my tires are better than yours," but you know how that goes.

The Ramblin' Pushers Maintenance Session (MS 2022) schedule is as follows:
Wednesday, 4/27 Early Parking (optional)
Thursday, 4/28 Arrival Day
Friday, 4/29 MS Day 1
Saturday, 4/30 MS Day 2
Sunday, 5/1 MS Day 3
Monday, 5/2 MS Day 4
Tuesday, 5/3 MS Day 5
Wednesday 5/5 MS Day 6 (with closing dinner)
Thursday, 5/6 Departure Day

The Maintenance Session takes place at the Elkhart County 4H Fairgrounds, 17746-D CR 34, Goshen, IN 46528   (GPS: N41.5807 W85.8007)

The Ramblin' Pushers Maintenance Session welcomes Class A diesel pushers and Class Super-C motorhomes produced by the following manufacturers:
American Coach, Beaver, Entegra, Fleetwood, Holiday Rambler, Monaco, Newmar, Renegade, Safari, and Tiffin.

For more information please visit our website www.ramblinpushers.org  In the Big Blue Box you will find links to our Invitation Packet of information about the Ramblin' Pushers organization, the complete Program Book for our 2019 Maintenance Session, and a link to our 2022 MS. As you might have guessed, the 2020 and 2021 Maintenance Sessions had to be cancelled to be in compliance with Covid-19 mitigation requirements. We are eager to be back.

Please take the time to visit our website and see what it is that we do. Our entire mission is centered on proper coach maintenance and safe operation. We are a 100% volunteer organization. That is reflected in our registration and camping fees--you would be hard-pressed to find an equivalent RV rally with a comparable price.

If you have questions about the MS, please call or text to 618-593-5352 or email rogersmalley@ymail.com. 

See you in Goshen!

Roger Smalley
Vice President and 2022 Maintenance Session Coordinator.

We hope to see all of our Monacoers friends in Goshen. The MS begins in 69 days!

"THE" RV Rally to attend. A must for any coach brand owner. The knowledge group and participation by so many RV Company MFG's and vendor entities is reason alone to attend. With the cost of fuel today, it makes the most sense. 

5 hours ago, moxy1962 said:

Lots of hood advise here, I’ve been using TST for 12 years, well worth the expense and I highly recommend, I use 8 flow through on coach and 4 non flow through on car hauler with a repeater. system has detected several minor leaks and even hinted at bearing problem on trailer which proved to be minor but  needed correction. Weighing all 6 positions on the coach is recommended, this allows running lowest safe pressure for each axle which should be based on heaviest weight per axle. Same Pressure across axle. I have found steer tires typically require highest pressure cold. Followed by drive and tag. I have extenders on inner drive axle only, they have not leaked on 10 years. As far as other maintenance, welcome to the club, if you were hoping for plug and play,  get out of the motor coach game,  

I have the TST system, also. I like it but have two gripes. They couldn’t have picked worse colors for the screen, blue on black. I practically have to stop driving so I can get a close look to read the numbers. Also, the setup for different combinations of vehicle is very inflexible. Other than that it works good.

Ed       
‘05 HR Ambassador 

We need to be careful with terminology on this topic.

The first thing you need in order to set pressures correctly is the weight on each axle end (not tire position). All four tires on the drive axle should be inflated to the same pressure as determined by the weight of the heavier axle end. The same principle applies to the steer and tag axles; tires on both axle ends should be inflated to the pressure required for the heavier end. The two (or three) axles may very well have different pressures. No to worry. Properly inflated, each axle will be able to carry its load safely.

Getting the tire pressures right does not make your tires blow-out proof. There are still road hazards (pot holes, road debris, etc.) that can inflict great damage.

Safe Travels,

4 minutes ago, Roger 2006 HR Endeavor PDQ said:

We need to be careful with terminology on this topic.

The first thing you need in order to set pressures correctly is the weight on each axle end (not tire position). All four tires on the drive axle should be inflated to the same pressure as determined by the weight of the heavier axle end. The same principle applies to the steer and tag axles; tires on both axle ends should be inflated to the pressure required for the heavier end. The two (or three) axles may very well have different pressures. No to worry. Properly inflated, each axle will be able to carry its load safely.

Getting the tire pressures right does not make your tires blow-out proof. There are still road hazards (pot holes, road debris, etc.) that can inflict great damage.

Safe Travels,

I think you meant to say tire position as that means each axle end, ie: drive left or right and tag left and right, steer left and right, little confusing for those new to the hobby. 

As far as tpms, you are right tpms won’t stop debris, tire damage from any number of road hazards, but typically damage creates low pressure or occasionally high pressures, or measurable increases or decreases in pressures or temperatures,  and those factors are what tpms warns of, under inflation is still number 1 killer of tires and tpms greatly decreases likelihood of blow outs due to under inflation caused by punctures or damage.

• Like 1

To pile on…

I use a TireMinder Smart TPMS with an old, dedicated (Gen 1) iPad Mini as my display. There are no other apps on the iPad Mini…. 4 years and it’s saved my bacon a time or two. 

I run Toyo M170 steer tires and pressures are set based on weighing done at the 2020 Gathering by Bill Groves, et. al., using 4 individual scales. FWIW I run my steer tires at 110 psi based on the weights and the Toyo tire inflation tables, and my rears at 90 psi based on same. 

I manually check tire pressures and tire conditions before each trip, and carry a pancake compressor in my toad (pickup). 

Not asked, but I also have Tyron bands on my steer tires. 

Having seen the damage a blown steer tire can do, I do everything I know to do to prevent that, but also to prepare for the unexpected. Check out videos on YouTube by Michelin and others on how to handle your coach in case of a steer tire blowout. Very informative, and some of the actions are counterintuitive (I.e., speeding up)

Hope that helps. 

• Like 2