Engine temperature

Guest bobstromain

Guest bobstromain

I am having intermittent problems with the Saur Danfoss control, and haven't decided what to do about it yet.  My engine normally  runs around 195 degrees and the trans. usually a few degrees less.   when the fan control fails it goes to high speed.  when this happens the engine drops to 182 degrees and the trans. to around 160.   Is running at the lower temps. going to cause a problem?    Control seems to fail mostly at start up.  After running a while it settles down.   Any comments are appreciated.

Bob St.Romain

04 Windsor

Bob, with my OEM radiator the temps would be 180F for the engine and 175F for the Allison for the most part unless climbing grades.

With my new CG&J radiator both the engine and transmission temps are more like 185F- 190F.

Cooler temps are certainly better than hotter temps but you lose mpg with the fan WAO.

The Allison needs a minimum of 140F to be able to measure the oil level so anything above that and below 250F is acceptable.

There is a orifice that is placed in the smaller hydraulic lines that feed the FDCA.  It controls the speed the engine fan runs. 

When you start the engine cold in warmer outside temperatures, you need the engine fan to run at 400 rpm to keep the high side of the dash air conditioner freon pressure from getting to high.   The Roadmaster plant in Elkhart ran out of the orifices.  To keep from shutting down the chassis plant, Monaco chose to install a straight through adapter to keep the coach manufacturing assembly line moving.  (Each chassis was built to a specific coach.) 

Since your 2004 Windsor has that problem, you need to check that the orifice is installed in your coach.  Jim Walls, the then manager of tech support, informed me of the problem.   Once I installed the orifice in my 2004 Windsor, the problem was solved.  You can call him at Source Manufacturing 541-935-0308.  Chuck B

DSCN6219.JPG

On 4/11/2020 at 10:47 AM, Dr4Film said:

Bob, with my OEM radiator the temps would be 180F for the engine and 175F for the Allison for the most part unless climbing grades.

With my new CG&J radiator both the engine and transmission temps are more like 185F- 190F.

Cooler temps are certainly better than hotter temps but you lose mpg with the fan WAO.

The Allison needs a minimum of 140F to be able to measure the oil level so anything above that and below 250F is acceptable.

Actually, too cool temps significantly increase wear and reduce mileage. 

Engine temp should run around 180-200.  It's hard to over-cool a transmission, but it should run over 160 or so.

Edited by dl_racing427

On 4/11/2020 at 8:06 AM, bobstromain said:

I am having intermittent problems with the Saur Danfoss control, and haven't decided what to do about it yet.  My engine normally  runs around 195 degrees and the trans. usually a few degrees less.   when the fan control fails it goes to high speed.  when this happens the engine drops to 182 degrees and the trans. to around 160.   Is running at the lower temps. going to cause a problem?    Control seems to fail mostly at start up.  After running a while it settles down.   Any comments are appreciated.

Bob St.Romain

04 Windsor

What temperature thermostat is in it?  Try wiggling the Sauer Danfoss plug that is connected to the hydraulic solenoid.  Mine would switch on & off so I took one apart and it had corrosion which may or may not be a factor.   I've had too many other projects to get back to it as I want to replace the connector and put it on a switched circuit since it is powered whenever the batteries are connected.