Extending Onan fuel pick up tube.

Unable to find a prior thread on this topic so I will ask. My generator will shut down after using 60 gallons. I have 100 or 118 gallons according to literature.  My generator tube is metal and appears to be brazed to the 90 degree 1/8th pipe fitting.  I am not able to remove this tube(without cutting or bending it) unless I slide the fuel tank out. Not interested in that.  Has anyone here with the same set up extended the tube in some way?  I have been thinking about this for a while after knowing what I have. I am unable to find a fitting that I need without brazing a couple to each other to use a semi ridged nylon/plastic pick up tube.  I sure would like another 10 gallons so I reduce the risk of a hard shut down of the gen and AC units If I get a gulp of air with 1/2 tank. I usually don't run much past 1/2 tank but if I need to stop for the night and I am at a 1/2 tank I really risk loosing fuel to my gen at approx 1/2 tank.

16 hours ago, rustykramermetalfab said:

My generator will shut down after using 60 gallons.

Watching this post.  I was told by the previous owner that I should not let the fuel tank get below 50% when running the generator because if I hit a dip it may shutdown from a brief loss of fuel.   They said it was the orientation of the generator pick up line from the fuel tank.  This hasn't been a priority to tackle yet, but with the posted question I am going to tag along.

Bill, My pickup is on the far passenger side of the coach and I don't think there are baffles of any kind in the tank so your PO is correct. 1/2 tank is just not enough for me. I start to get nervous because you just don't want a hard shut down of the Gen and AC units.  I am looking for fuel at that 1/2 tank point. If it was 80 gallons until it was out I would never have had it starve for fuel,  I have never put more than 60 in at a fill. I only use my coach in hot weather so in effect I have a 50 gallon tank to not run my Gen out of fuel. 

Just wondering out loud. Would it be possible to lift the pickup enough to clip it and put a rubber hose extension in-between the two pieces and hose clamp the heck out of  it? 

Mine is solidly good to 1/3 tank. I try never to run below 1/2 tank in any of my vehicles but stuff happens here and there. Originally I was told that the gen pickup was installed at the 1/4 mark. I hit that mark last weekend and didn't puke the generator. 

You can check your magic mark by running the genny without a load (A/C units) or load it up with space heaters for a short time on a low fuel tank and see where the generator stalls out. The Onans are self-priming so running it out of fuel is not a problem. In fact that is how diesel engines are shut off. The fuel pump shuts off when the key or power button is shutoff. That is where you get the little shudder at shutdown. 

Ken

Ken, This was one of my many thoughts but the threaded hole in the tank is 1/4 pipe, so right at 1/2" ID.  No slip over hose or hose clamps will go back through that 1/2" hole. I have found a fitting with a rigid, plastic/nylon line attached that may work if I can bend the line enough to feed the tube through the threaded hole. 

This item is a boat tank fuel pickup replacement part and line is plenty long to trim, I have it on order so I will find out if I think it is possible. If I cut or pull out the original I will be committed so I am going to need to be pretty confident I can get it through. It is a pretty tight bend so I am not sure at this point. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rustykramermetalfab said:

This item is a boat tank fuel pickup replacement part and line is plenty long to trim, I have it on order so I will find out if I think it is possible.

Rusty, please report back on this thread what you end up doing and how it works out.  Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Well I received the fitting and tube but the external threads that need to go into the tank on the new part are 3/8 Pipe. Needed 1/4 pipe. The internal threads on the 90 degree top are 1/4 pipe.  So sending that back and still searching for a workable solution.

You my try buying the right size 90 fitting to connect to the hose and fits into the tank, getting a short piece of copper tubing, the bendable kind, and taking it some where and having copper tubing brazed into the fitting,   Then you can insert the copper into the tank and slowly bend it straight down as you lower into the tank. 

• It was really my issue on this part. I think I might have a plan for this but I will need to Machine my own custom fittings and or modify fittings. The key will be if I can find a plastic tube that is flexible enough to manipulate it through the hole and not destroy it... The hard decision is If I cut my existing tube I am committed to doing something. Might have to wait until next winter at this point.  
40 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

You my try buying the right size 90 fitting to connect to the hose and fits into the tank, getting a short piece of copper tubing, the bendable kind, and taking it some where and having copper tubing brazed into the fitting,   Then you can insert the copper into the tank and slowly bend it straight down as you lower into the tank. 

The issue with this is I will never know how deep I am if the new tube is not straight when done...