New Toad? Bought a Jeep suggestions for setting up

Our Raptor decided to freak out the day before we planned on leaving for our trip (set us back a day). My wife tried to drive the dually around town to see if she would feel ok to follow me, she wasn’t. Did some online shopping and ended up with a 2015 Jeep Wrangler 4-door with 60k on it. It’s the entry level trim, but has the “Willys” package on it. 

Anyone else tow Jeep? Suggestions on setup or what to expect? There seems to be an awful lot of them used for flat towing. The procedure is WAY less complicated than our Ford to flat tow. 

450E6F02-9709-41AC-AE6E-2CD2F3A5A302.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On my Jeep, for towing - changed the bumper to a HardRock 4x4 front bumper and ordered the Blue-ox towing brackets (my MotorHome included the Blue-ox tow bar).  I really like this bumper - looks good not too heavy (alum), solid, and I don’t have the tow bar attachments hanging below the bumper. 

For the tail -lights from e-trailer I got a kit so my tail lights would work - 

For braking - I use RVI Brake2 (it was also included).  To power the RVIBrake I originally used a jump start battery that had a 12v outlet - later I made my own lithium battery w the 12v outlet - plus lots more stuff. 

I really like my setup - it’s easy, and I could tow my Jeep behind any vehicle with a 2” receiver (well any vehicle that my family has - they seem to all have big trucks).

There are lots of choices- good luck!

I've got the exact same year Jeep wrangler.  I went with Invisibrake and Roadmasters wiring harness; installed both myself.  Neither was particularly difficult and both continue to work.  Had it installed for about a year now.

The nice thing about towing a JK is they're popular enough you can find the baseplate on facebook marketplace.  Took me a while to find one reasonably priced but I ended up with the towbar and baseplate for ~$200.

Off topic side note:  I'll be at a Trash Pandas baseball game tomorrow night if it doesn't get rained out!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adam_C said:

I've got the exact same year Jeep wrangler.  I went with Invisibrake and Roadmasters wiring harness; installed both myself.  Neither was particularly difficult and both continue to work.  Had it installed for about a year now.

The nice thing about towing a JK is they're popular enough you can find the baseplate on facebook marketplace.  Took me a while to find one reasonably priced but I ended up with the towbar and baseplate for ~$200.

Off topic side note:  I'll be at a Trash Pandas baseball game tomorrow night if it doesn't get rained out!

Awesome! Go Trash Pandas 

Mopar has a factory wiring kit for Jeeps that clips into the stock wiring harness under the dash behind the glove box. Not the easiest to install but will avoid cutting/splicing. Look it up online to see if you care for it.

The tow bar bracket is easy enough.

The procedure for shifting the transfer case in/out of neutral is easier then it reads, just have to do it with the engine off and trans in neutral to avoid gear clash. ALWAYS triple check to make sure the emergency brake is off. I have a braking system but have never used it. The bigger coaches don't notice and I'm afraid it will fail and roast my Jeep brakes. Not all states require them and I'm willing to live with the consequences.

If you have soft aggressive mud tires you may suffer from cupping, had to replace my tires after 15k miles towing. Alignment setting can be changed to avoid this from what I've read.

Not any harder then other vehicles from my prospective.

Hope this helps

3 hours ago, Rocketman3 said:

On my Jeep, for towing - changed the bumper to a HardRock 4x4 front bumper and ordered the Blue-ox towing brackets (my MotorHome included the Blue-ox tow bar).  I really like this bumper - looks good not too heavy (alum), solid, and I don’t have the tow bar attachments hanging below the bumper. 

For the tail -lights from e-trailer I got a kit so my tail lights would work - 

For braking - I use RVI Brake2 (it was also included).  To power the RVIBrake I originally used a jump start battery that had a 12v outlet - later I made my own lithium battery w the 12v outlet - plus lots more stuff. 

I really like my setup - it’s easy, and I could tow my Jeep behind any vehicle with a 2” receiver (well any vehicle that my family has - they seem to all have big trucks).

There are lots of choices- good luck!

I went the same way except I have the Brake Buddy but love the bumper and ease of hooking up as well as disconnecting. Plus like you said nothing hanging down to get caught when we do a little 4 wheeling in the mountains. 

2 hours ago, Old Dog said:

I have a braking system but have never used it. The bigger coaches don't notice and I'm afraid it will fail and roast my Jeep brakes. Not all states require them and I'm willing to live with the consequences.

Recommend being careful making this statement in regards to recommendations to others. 4 door jeep wrangler weighs over 4000 pounds. Quick Google search shows that all but ~5 states require a braking system on weights above this.

I just installed my Rock Hard bumper last weekend on our new to us ‘19 JL Rubicon, i also used the Mopar wiring harness, not cheap but it has some features that I liked. I’m actually using an old Brake Buddy that my father used, Air Force One is in our future but for the time being we’re going to try this one. I went with a 10’000lbs  Demco Ex-Calibar tow bar, yes it’s overkill but it’s heavy duty and only a few bucks more than a 6000 lbs tow bar, I also put a 6” riser receiver to achieve a flat tow bar profile.

We did go for a short 10 mile test run last Friday night, didn’t even notice it was back there.

113FADFC-90A1-450D-BF9E-1750C8CF66EC.jpeg

9CAB9EEF-372E-4661-82DD-9640809E73F6.jpeg

9A5C4668-6B00-4AA9-9321-AA977E9CF8D3.jpeg

Edited by Jdw12345

56 minutes ago, Jdw12345 said:

I just installed my Rock Hard bumper last weekend on our new to us ‘19 JL Rubicon, i also used the Mopar wiring harness, not cheap but it has some features that I liked. I’m actually using an old Brake Buddy that my father used, Air Force One is in our future but for the time being we’re going to try this one. I went with a 10’000lbs  Demco Ex-Calibar tow bar, yes it’s overkill but it’s heavy duty and only a few bucks more than a 6000 lbs tow bar, I also put a 6” riser receiver to achieve a flat tow bar profile.

We did go far a short 10 mile test run last Friday night, didn’t even notice it was back there.

113FADFC-90A1-450D-BF9E-1750C8CF66EC.jpeg

9CAB9EEF-372E-4661-82DD-9640809E73F6.jpeg

9A5C4668-6B00-4AA9-9321-AA977E9CF8D3.jpeg

Sweet set up!