Use "Truck" mechanic shop or RV shop?

Hello all,

I need to get some work done on 2002 Monaco Monarch. Chassis is Workhorse W22 2001. I need rotors and break pads. The RV shop is booked for several weeks. Does shop who works on trucks would work on RV and is it as simple as to call around? Anything in particular I should ask or look for it?

Thank you.

Edited by iHaveBeenAround
Just spelling.

I use a commercial trucking short haul company near me that I found through another RV'er in the area.   They had shoptime that was basically dead air, and are glad to have the fill-in work.   The only caveat is I always stay there while they work on it and observe.   And I never leave it overnight.  You might want to see if you can find anybody on IRV2 in your area that would have suggestions.

1 hour ago, Rick A said:

The truck shop guys roll their eyes at RV chassis and engine repairers. Ask them to look at the refrigerator and they go inside and grab the beers! 

And if you need engine work on a rear radiator coach, all the experienced techs are busy on other projects.

Most large truck shops really want full access to the engine for any engine servicing.  Tractors have hoods that fully open for full engine access.  Motorhomes often require inside access especially rear mounted radiator coaches vs side mounted radiator coaches.  It often depends on the job required.  For tires and brakes, it really doesn't matter much - Easy access - as long as the service components are typical of what the shop sees for truck brakes.  For engine work, well it all depends on what needs to be done, and access availability.  Usually, service techs prefer to work on an easy access tractor vs a motorhome.  So, many times the shop might assigned a less experienced technician to work on a motorhome because the more experienced person with seniority prefers working on Trucks.

• Thanks 1

IMHO, stay away from RV dealers in general for your chassis work.  I found a local truck place for alignments and a small mom and pop tire shop for my steering box replacement.  There are folks out there who do good work at a reasonable price, just have to search around for them.  Also, have had good luck with mobile truck service when broke down in San Antonio.  Good luck and God Bless, Ed & Sylvia