12.5 HDCAB11506A Spec:A 2004 Signature Generator-Muffler Replacement

Lee Smith

My diesel generator has 1,250 hours on the meter.
Recently, I noticed that it was louder than normal and no exhaust flow at the pipe outlet. I pulled the top inspection plate off and found that the very short pipe connecting the muffler to the exhaust manifold was completely broken off.
My local Cummins Parts Dealer tells me the part is approximately four weeks out and will run $1,024.
Part Number 155-3151. 
I have not located any viable alternatives including having it fabricated locally.
In the meantime, I would like to run the generator to provide A/C in our very hot Virginia summer weather to the front of the coach while I drive about two hours each way to get my windshield replaced. Plus another trip of about the same duration to get the RV inspected.

Does anyone have knowledge about harming the diesel generator by running it without a muffler? It may be a back pressure issue but I personally  have no idea. Furthermore, I had already run the generator several times for hours at time before I figured out what was going on.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

Since you already ran it like that for hours, maybe nothing will happen but I would be concerned about the rubber air intake hose that is already past air filter. A hole in it would not be a good thing for the cylinders. The muffler is pretty much at the exit of cooling air flow but there is still an ABS shroud where the now much hotter air must go through. For those 2 reasons alone I would be hesitant to run it like that. As for the muffler,  if there is still some 'good meat' on the sheetmetal side, I think I would weld or at least just rivet a new piece of sheet metal and reattached the inlet pipe but of course I don't know extend of the damage.

Gen muffler.jpg

• Thanks 1

Wow, that is an excellent picture. I am not sure about existing hose damage as I have not taken the top and side panels off. Just to be on the safe side, I will order a replacement hose.  I am certainly on the side of not running the generator. I can just take the RV on the necessary trips in the early morning or evening. Thank you very much.

Any way to take a picture of the part that is broke.

Can the part be remove/repaired? 

I tried to do a search to see what it looks like, no luck.  I tried to find  parts manual using the model number you provided but no luck.  The manuals I did find show a flexible type exhaust piece. 

My bet is that you could take the part to a good muffler repair shop can fix/make the exhaust pipe.  

3 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Since you already ran it like that for hours, maybe nothing will happen but I would be concerned about the rubber air intake hose that is already past air filter. A hole in it would not be a good thing for the cylinders. The muffler is pretty much at the exit of cooling air flow but there is still an ABS shroud where the now much hotter air must go through. For those 2 reasons alone I would be hesitant to run it like that. As for the muffler,  if there is still some 'good meat' on the sheetmetal side, I think I would weld or at least just rivet a new piece of sheet metal and reattached the inlet pipe but of course I don't know extend of the damage.

Gen muffler.jpg

The picture posted by Ivan K, as above, is spot on. On the backside of the muffler is a short pipe that connects to the generator manifold. It is totally detached (broken) from the muffler. I talked with a local muffler shop and they said they cannot fabricate a replacement. Attached is the parts diagram for my model. See the part listed as number 1.

Muffler Part Page 1.pdf

Muffler Part Page 2.pdf