Slide Topper Fabric Preventative Maintenance

Throgmartin gave some great info on slide topper replacement...   

I will definitely go with his recommendation for the poured vinyl topper fabric when the time comes. 

Here's the question...my acrylic slide toppers are probably at their half life, there are no tears but there is considerable stretch on two of them where the AC units drain off of the roof.  Is there any product that I can apply to the fabric that will "beef it up" and possible extend its remaining life?  I am thinking there might be a clear coat "poly" like product that could be applied.  Any ideas?

I do see that 303 makes a marine waterproofing spray that should help but that won't strengthen the existing fabric.   Also, what is the best way to clean them.

Thanks much for all the great info.  All of this good stuff makes the maintenance of my 15 year old Diplomat almost fun...

Gary

9 hours ago, NGADawgs said:

Throgmartin gave some great info on slide topper replacement...   

I will definitely go with his recommendation for the poured vinyl topper fabric when the time comes. 

Here's the question...my acrylic slide toppers are probably at their half life, there are no tears but there is considerable stretch on two of them where the AC units drain off of the roof.  Is there any product that I can apply to the fabric that will "beef it up" and possible extend its remaining life?  I am thinking there might be a clear coat "poly" like product that could be applied.  Any ideas?

I do see that 303 makes a marine waterproofing spray that should help but that won't strengthen the existing fabric.   Also, what is the best way to clean them.

Thanks much for all the great info.  All of this good stuff makes the maintenance of my 15 year old Diplomat almost fun...

Gary

I may be Customer #1 for Vinyl.  February 2015. Look great and are bullet proof.  Chris will have to chime in.  They, in a way, are like a lady with many young ‘uns.  The belly ain’t ever coming back.  I have used the 303 on a Sunbrella boat cover and extended its life…over and over.  But it did nothing for the sagging and I had to add support poles and grommets. 

Depend on your brand of awnings, the real killer was the wear and stress and eventual fraying of the fabric where the aluminum cover hit.  Easy to see the marks.  The best fix or prevention was to buy a roll of Door Edge Protector…or rolls.  Put it on the edge of the aluminum cover.  I did that and the fraying stopped, but mine were leaking and sagging after 6 years….2 months a year of use and retracted and in covered storage. I ordered all 4 and had them installed…

I just finished the 303 treatment on our Sunbrella - Zip Dee awnings. Used their 303 cleaner and a gallon of 303 fabric restorer. Only combination approved by Sunbrella and recommended to me by Chris a while back. It came out looking good for its age, we have no rips or stretched spots but some of the blackish aluminum marks I just could not remove, where it rubs inside the cover when retracted. But I have no doubt that it will be rain proof again. My biggest problem was finding a day with no wind  out here as an overspray might be harmful to paint.