AC power on inverter only

CapnDean

08 Monaco Camelot;   On shore power or generator power I have a circuit (microwave and several outlets seems to be starboard side only) that is dead unless I select inverter on.      With the inverter on - the circuit is live.

All 3 AC units have power as well as the refrigerator (residential) when on shore or Gen power.    

I have cycled all breakers, and even gone darken ship hoping that a fresh re-boot would resolve the issue.   It hasn’t.

There are no fault lights or anything.   I am suspecting it may be in the transfer switch   But have yet to remove the cover.   Tossing this up here hoping that someone will say “go to the run bay and swap relay number 4612” or something that easy.

anybody?

1 hour ago, CapnDean said:

08 Monaco Camelot;   On shore power or generator power I have a circuit (microwave and several outlets seems to be starboard side only) that is dead unless I select inverter on.      With the inverter on - the circuit is live.

All 3 AC units have power as well as the refrigerator (residential) when on shore or Gen power.    

I have cycled all breakers, and even gone darken ship hoping that a fresh re-boot would resolve the issue.   It hasn’t.

There are no fault lights or anything.   I am suspecting it may be in the transfer switch   But have yet to remove the cover.   Tossing this up here hoping that someone will say “go to the run bay and swap relay number 4612” or something that easy.

anybody?

NOPE…you do NOT have an ATS problem. If so, then you would not have AC’s or refrigerator when on either Genny or AC.  Your AC’s do NOT work or get power from or are connected to the inverter.  The two “banks” as you call them are the AC coming from the 30 Amp breaker in the main panel.  That goes to the Inverter.  Ther is an ATS on the Inverter main control or big PCB.  These are “Normally Closed”.  They will pass through or give you power…always…. See the text below from the Manual - MS 2012 manual….which odds are, you have.  This would cover the MS 2812 which was the 2800 watt unit if the Res Refer was a factory item.  

3.0 Operation
The MS Series inverter has two normal operating routines: Inverter mode, which powers your loads using the batteries, and Standby mode, which transfers the incoming AC current (i.e., utility power or a generator) to power your loads and to recharge the batteries. This inverter also includes an extensive protection circuitry to shut down the inverter under certain fault conditions.
3.1 InverterMode
When the MS Series is first powered up, it defaults to the OFF mode. The momentary ON/OFF power switch (Item 1, Figure 1-1) must be lightly pressed to turn the inverter ON. Subsequently pressing this switch alternately turns the inverter OFF and ON.
Inverter OFF – When the inverter is OFF, no power is used from the batteries to power the AC loads, and the status LED will be OFF. If AC power from an external source (utility or generator) is connected and qualified on the inverter’s AC input, this AC input power will pass through the inverter to power the AC loads. However, if this AC power is lost, the AC loads will no longer be powered because the inverter is OFF.
When the inverter is turned ON, it operates either by “searching” or “inverting”, depending on the connected AC loads

OK….yours ain’t working as designed.  Here is the next STEP.  Do a SOFT RESET.  Google it  - Magnum Soft Reset.
Power OFF….Genny OFF….IMPORTANT. Push and hold the button on the white case for 15-20 seconds (memory).  Wait a few minutes.  The Genny will reset.  It might NOT come on as in the Remote panel is not lit up.  If you push the power button, it will come on,.

THEN perform your test.  No JOY….you have a bad board in the Inverter or bad “coils”.  They ain’t replaceable. 

At the age of your unit….trash and buy new.  Board is over $500 and you have all sorts  of other components such as fans and temp sensors and such.  That is direct from Magnum….YES…. An owner can swap out, but you get it and if you don’t know what else failed or what caused it….bingo, $500 gone.  The MS 2012 was around $1500 the last time I checked Amazon.  An electrician that does home work can install.  It is simple.  Buy a NEW RC50…been there….my 2009 remote failed and almost lost my batteries.  $170.  4 screws and a phone cable connection…piece of cake for any MH a owner.

The magnum, when hooked up, even without a battery, has an onboard ATS….just like your big ATS.  It is NORMALLY Closed and you get the incoming AC (30 amp breaker) power through and out of the Inverter.  See above….I pulled that just to satisfy my old brain.

Then there is a HARD RESET…in the manual or .Google.  I would do it and HOPE it works…. It is MORE involved.  You have to go through (they don’t tell you this) the Remote  and write down where every screen or page is set.  Otherwise, you lose it and you have to do it all over.  I know how, after 13 years to do it.  Some don’t….so don’t take that personally,  Magnum will walk you through it over the phone.

I do NOT know that the remote will “reset”, but if it does….then you have to reprogram.

NOW…read the Hard Reset.  DO IT….but without any of the Phone cables attached.  The Magnum has or does a Factory reset….and sets itself up where it will run.  It Needs to have a bank of batteries attached.  But the ATS on the board should be passing power.

The inverter, on battery….and I cannot remember….but read, SHOULd be supplying power. The “Bank” as you call it is TWO Circuits.  One goes to the Microwave.  One goes to the GFCI in the center hill vanity.  If this is a NEW ago YOU MH, that I may be at the end of its useful life….and should be replaced.  An EaTon Wiring .devices 20Amp one will work with the Inverter….others may not,

Anyway…if that doesn’t do it, call Magnum.  They will answer and talk to you and will walk you through it all. If they say BAD BOARD….you know the next step. Let us know what you find out.

IF this happens again and again….get it fixed….and that is probably having it replace.  Sort of like putting new parts into a 15 year old TV.
good luck.

OK hard reset complete   situation has not changed.  There is an entire circuit that only gets 110V when the inverter is on and  the coach is connected to shore power or Generator power.

I just noticed however that when I press the CHG button on the remote control panel nothing happens,  I assumed that this is the "turn the charger on" button and since it is not illuminating, I may not be charging batteries either.

confirmed no charge from charger and no pass through power to circuits when on shore or generator power.  Failed Magnum 2012.  New one on order.

• 4 months later...
On 6/25/2022 at 9:30 PM, CapnDean said:

confirmed no charge from charger and no pass through power to circuits when on shore or generator power.  Failed Magnum 2012.  New one on order.

Curious as to if the new inverter solved the problem?

19 minutes ago, CapnDean said:

Yes it did.  Problem solved.  One side of inverter bad at circuit board.  tech support said chance it with new board or replace whole unit.   

Every Magnum tech follows protocols but have their own opinions.  The ones I’ve talked to trying to help others with mega PCB  issues say if inverter is over 5 - 8 years old and you are not qualified or perhaps “capable” or apprehensive of replacing the main PCB, THEN a simple swap out may be the best decision as you have many other components like fans and sensors and such that often fail.

it also depends on the pricing.  Magnum cautions that purchasing from a non affiliated source, like many of the Amazon low ball sellers, leads to complicated, if even honored, warranty issues.

No right or wrong answer as each has their own set of circumstances and resources and skills.  I suspect I will replace my entire unit as it will probably fail in a few years…

If you care to comment, which path did you trod?