Fog Lights no power

vwallace

2004 Sig conquest

In my search to figure out a better headlight situation, I have bought a set of led bulbs to replace the old halogen bulbs in my fog lights. It took some minor fabrication to get everything to fit and line up just right. Well when the moment of truth came and I tried to turn them on, nothing! So I started looking around and testing, unplugged the new light and tested for power, zero. Went to front electrical bay, the fog light power light is on, the other fog light lights are also on, and the 15amp fuse is good. Went to the console and took it apart, checked the switch it had power, swapped that switch for another that was the same and nothing, no power to the light.

I know the headlight have to be on in the low beam setting and the ignition must be on, is there something that I am missing?

I feel like I have a lighting gremlin on the coach, the dock lights come on when you turn the headlights on also.

I discovered on my 2002 Windsor the front auxiliary lights were actually “driving lights”. Meaning, they operate with the HIGH BEAM only. They were wired that way from the factory. I made a change to the relay and wired mine to come in anytime the dash switch is activated. 

3 hours ago, vwallace said:

2004 Sig conquest

In my search to figure out a better headlight situation, I have bought a set of led bulbs to replace the old halogen bulbs in my fog lights. It took some minor fabrication to get everything to fit and line up just right. Well when the moment of truth came and I tried to turn them on, nothing! So I started looking around and testing, unplugged the new light and tested for power, zero. Went to front electrical bay, the fog light power light is on, the other fog light lights are also on, and the 15amp fuse is good. Went to the console and took it apart, checked the switch it had power, swapped that switch for another that was the same and nothing, no power to the light.

I know the headlight have to be on in the low beam setting and the ignition must be on, is there something that I am missing?

I feel like I have a lighting gremlin on the coach, the dock lights come on when you turn the headlights on also.

Have you reversed the polarity…NOT saying you did it wrong.  With most LED bulb conversions there is a warning that if they do not come on, to reverse the plug.  The headlight LED headlight bulbs,, at least the sets I have put on, do not have the “one way” key way or the locking barb.  I would rig up a set of jumpers…it you have a small battery jump pack, that works great.  If they work one way and not the other, then you are going to have to do a polarity reversal.

Keep us posted.

38 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Have you reversed the polarity…NOT saying you did it wrong.  With most LED bulb conversions there is a warning that if they do not come on, to reverse the plug.  The headlight LED headlight bulbs,, at least the sets I have put on, do not have the “one way” key way or the locking barb.  I would rig up a set of jumpers…it you have a small battery jump pack, that works great.  If they work one way and not the other, then you are going to have to do a polarity reversal.

Keep us posted.

Once they did not come on, I unhooked the plug and used a meter to test them. I am getting 0.0 at the plug.

43 minutes ago, vwallace said:

Once they did not come on, I unhooked the plug and used a meter to test them. I am getting 0.0 at the plug.

Fuse or Relay or a bad mating connector upstream.  I might trace the harness to the connector.  BTW….did you verify that the ground in the socket is a good “Ground” to the Chassis?  I would measure the voltage to a known good chassis ground….just as a test.  Flaky grounds are not that uncommon…

Docklights coming on with the headlights???

I would be looking closely for some critter damage. 

You could have two problems of course. 

It's very easy to get in trouble swapping parts. Switches can fool even a seasoned tech.

Are you trying to measure the voltage across the bulb contacts or using a known good ground for the meter? If across the contacts, move your meter ground/negative to a good clean ground. 

Driver side is getting 5.4 v passenger side is 0. Found the wire diagram in the file section yesterday, downloaded it and printed. Should be able to dig further today. The relays are solider in place on the board in the front run bay. What is the deal with that? Seems like its going to be a total pia to find replacements if that is indeed the problem.