Hydraulic Tank Cap Leak

Yesterday I noticed a puddle of fluid under the front of the coach
(1997 Monaco Dynasty) and traced it to the small hydraulic fluid tank used to slide the generator tray in/out at the front of the coach. 

The fluid seemed to be leaking out of the cap area. What I can't figure out is how the cap is supposed to work. I though I could tighten it by turning it clockwise, but it just turns in circles without getting tighter (it offers medium resistance when turned). Then I realized the plastic cap pulls straight off the top, no threads. Seems to be a small foam patch on the underside of the top of the cap, maybe meant to be a breather of some kind.

Can anyone explain how this cap should work, can I tighten it?, and why it might suddenly have started to leak fluid? 

Cap1.JPG

Cap2.JPG

Tank1.JPG

Perhaps you have filled the reservoir with too much fluid. Those tanks should have a maximum or IN level and minimum or OUT level mark such that when the slide is out the level will be at its lowest level mark. Thereby allowing for enough space in the tank to accumulate the fluid when the slide is in.

It should also be vented allowing air to go in when the slide is out and air to go out when the slide is in. 

Well I haven't added any fluid to this tank, and it never leaked before. I also hadn't extended the generator recently when it began to leak. Could warmer ambient air temp. cause the fluid to expand?  Doesn't sound like the kind attribute that you'd expect transmission fluid to have.  🙂

The cap seems like it might be meant to act as an air vent, but access is limited so I can't really tell how it's put together, other than it turns when I turn it, and the cap itself can be removed by pulling it straight off.   

Okay, it's definitely a breather cap. Not sure why it would just start to leak, perhaps it's cracked at at the base or something. I'm going to monitor it and if it keeps leaking I'll try to remove it entirely and look for a suitable replacement.

Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Parts-Warehouse-Hydraulic-Breather/dp/B088MGGQYH/ref=zg_bs_383872011_2/140-0237624-2839629?pd_rd_i=B088MGGQYH&psc=1 might be comparable.

Hey FYI fluid such as transmission, or hydraulic does in fact expand and contract with ambient temp changes. As to why it just now is having a issue, no tellin… perhaps gremlins😂  

On a warm day take off the cap while all the rams are in stow position an look to see where the level is, should be approximately 1 in down from the fill NECK . You also cannot check it while the rams are extended. Best thing to do is wash the pump area down real well using simply green or ? Let it dry, cycle the system an look for a wet spot😒