Jake Brake intermittent

Go to solution Solved by JJMonaco,

This is on a 2002 Monaco Signature ISM 500.  It has a two stage exhaust brake.  It seems to work as it should about 70% of the time.   Can someone describe the circuit.  There is a Brake HIgh/Low switch on the left driver panel. It has a momentary contact foot switch which I suppose could be going bad.  What is the circuit from there?  Is there a Bosch relay somewhere?  I presume maybe there is a solenoid or maybe two on the engine.   I am trying to trace it out to find where it is failing but do not have a diagram to help with that.  Any help would be appreciated.  

• Solution

I have a 2002 signature as well.  Check your foot switch continuity with a volt/ohm meter when pressed. If it shows any resistance it doesn’t work correctly.  That was the case with mine.  I replaced the foot switch and the jake works as it should.

All the Best

John J

• Like 1

The foot switch is closed when you hold your foot on it which activates the engine brake. Then opens when you remove your foot to turn off the engine brake.

I would first verify that the foot switch is not at fault,  then work from there.

Check the files section for a wiring diagram for your coach.

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, c210pa18 said:

This is on a 2002 Monaco Signature ISM 500.  It has a two stage exhaust brake.  It seems to work as it should about 70% of the time.   Can someone describe the circuit.  There is a Brake HIgh/Low switch on the left driver panel. It has a momentary contact foot switch which I suppose could be going bad.  What is the circuit from there?  Is there a Bosch relay somewhere?  I presume maybe there is a solenoid or maybe two on the engine.   I am trying to trace it out to find where it is failing but do not have a diagram to help with that.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Here is a screen shot from our files of the wiring diagram for your system.

Screenshot_20220917-103300.png

I am finding the Linemaster and PacBrake foot switches but on the original.  Good to know the LineMaster works no problem.  Looks like that is what I'll order.

Well that was easier than I expected.  The foot switch has resistance and is intermittent so a new one will go in and it is supposed to be here Monday.  Great help guys!!  Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got the foot switch installed and just completed a 1100 mile trip.  Jake Brake works perfectly now.  Got a great chance to prove it on the looong down hill between Flagstaff and Phoenix yesterday.   Thanks for the help!  I incorrectly presumed the problem would be more complicated than it was.   Nice when it turns out like that.