Gettysburg campgrounds and places to visit/things to do

jacwjames

I've decided to take the rig on a trip and wanted to go visit Gettysburg Pa.  This is spur of the moment so will have to pretty much settle for a place to stay. 

My preference would be to boon dock or state campgrounds but after doing some searches I've had no luck. 

I've found a campground with vacancies >>> Round Top Campground, which looks like it is fairly close to the National Monument and the town.  Is this worth the $$$.   If I don't hear of any other options I'll make a reservation tonight.

Besides the National Monument are there other historical type sites.    I'm not interested in shopping etc.  

Depends on how big of a rig you're traveling in.  How long are you.  Gettysburg is a tiny little town and depending on how late in the year you planning on going there you might find some of the campgrounds closing for the season.  Also, do you belong to Harvest Hosts or BoonDockers Welcome?  Those can be other options but availability also depends on how long your coach is.

The attached photos show what is available in that are but this is based on my filtering for a 45 ft coach.  The map on the left is from Harvest Hosts and the other one is from RV Trip Wizard.

Gettysburg area Camping with HH.png

Gettysburg area campgrounds RVTW.png

Edited by Mike H
Added maps
  • Like 1

I'm leaving tomorrow AM so not much time to find accommodations.   The main reason I'm taking this short trip is to check everything on on the motorhome.  My wife is planning a trip next month and I want everything working right for her. 

I am ~40' pulling a Jeep GC.    I had joined Harvest host last year but didn't renew.  I had used it 4 times staying at a couple wineries and other places.  It was OK but I found a lot of times they were unresponsive to trying to reservations via the APP, much better to call.   A couple times when I requested a date I didn't hear back for days afterwards.   Found it wasn't really great for last minute stopping.   If I was planning on a longer trip I'd probably renew but for now I just can't see me using in much in the next 6 months, maybe next year.

I'll check into one of the tours.  I enjoy historical type attractions 

Thanks for the replies

18 hours ago, jacwjames said:

I am ~40' pulling a Jeep GC.    I had joined Harvest host last year but didn't renew.  I had used it 4 times staying at a couple wineries and other places.  It was OK but I found a lot of times they were unresponsive to trying to reservations via the APP, much better to call.   A couple times when I requested a date I didn't hear back for days afterwards.   Found it wasn't really great for last minute stopping.   If I was planning on a longer trip I'd probably renew but for now I just can't see me using in much in the next 6 months, maybe next year.

We're been members for 4 years now and have hardly used it but I figure if I use it at least twice a year I've paid for the membership.  We had our membership cost locked in when we joined so two night stays a year somewhere pays for itself.  Those are all secondary roads around Gettysburg so drive carefully.

Edited by Mike H

Enjoy your trip, Jim.  I've been pretty close to Gettysburg twice and would have liked to check it out . . . . if I knew it was there!  (LOL - did they move it?)

I found this website helpful . . . . but it will list every mom & pop campground.  - https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/

The best part are the reviews.  You get a good feel for a facility from campers plus they list all the amenities. 

Like Jim, I waited until the last minute to book a reservation (tomorrow night).  Not much to choose from!

- bob

So I did spend a week at the Round Top Campground.  At best I'd give it an average rating.  It looks like most of the sites are taken by long term residents and they've moved in a number of "Tiny House" type trailers. most sites are kept up but some look pretty bad.

I was given a spot on the very outskirts of the property close to the highway so there was a constant noise of truck traffic, it slowed some at night but not much. The pictures that they post are not what you get, buyer beware comes to mind 

I decided to get a full 50 amp site, not so much for the power but for the cable.  .Glad I did because OTA reception was almost nil.  They did have Wifi but it was sometimes slow and I'd loose connection, my guess is the system was overloaded but it was usable for my purposes.  Cost for Wifi was ~$15 for a week.  I didn't want to reactivate my Cricket account for one week so it was a good trade off.

I did have the opportunity to drive by a couple other campgrounds and from appearance it looked they were better and not close to the highway.  Artillery Ridge looked nice and was close enough to the Battlefield you could walk to a couple of the most popular memorials.  

I took my time visiting the battle site, went to the visitor center first day.  Decided to get a CD Auto Tour guide, well worth the cost and very informative.  Several of the stops were shown as closed but you could go to them anyway but not have full access.   After the day each night I spent part of the evening doing some research to get more information.  I ended up driving the route 3 times listening to the CD to get more clarity on the battle and walking several of the sites of the most intense fighting.    The site itself is ~25 square miles and there are hundreds of individual monuments erected by the individual states the at the troops came by.   Some are simple but most are pretty elaborate.   More internet searches finally provided me with the locations of a couple of the memorials from Wisconsin, my home state.  So if you are into history Gettysburg is well worth the stop.