Old (1999) Freedom 15 Inverter/Charger issue

Dick Roberts

My IC works for awhile, then stops. I can turn the switch off and back on and it works again for a few minutes. Then rinse repeat. Am I wasting my time troubleshooting this old thing? Do I just need to bite that 2k bullet and get a new magnum? If so, Does anyone know if Talin RV carries them or something comparable?

Thanks

4 hours ago, Dick Roberts said:

My IC works for awhile, then stops. I can turn the switch off and back on and it works again for a few minutes. Then rinse repeat. Am I wasting my time troubleshooting this old thing? Do I just need to bite that 2k bullet and get a new magnum? If so, Does anyone know if Talin RV carries them or something comparable?

Thanks

I'm not sure who in the RV industry handles what, especially tech,  at a good price, but there is a multi brand dealer out in Quartzsite AZ, and they knew all the answers when I needed to upgrade my Magnum.  If you are in this part of the world, they have  fair prices and staff that seemed top notch to me.     If you're thinking diy, I have ordered from Don Rowe inverters in Oregon a couple times.  Their customer support is great. Their prices are competitive.

9 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Is the cooling fan turning on? Maybe it is just overheating? 

I don't hear a fan running, just a low hum. The case does not get hot, When the humming stops, it's not putting out ac, per my line tester. Turm switch off then back on and the humming returns and ac is detected again. It's over 20 years old, I think, so I'm probably gonna bite that bullet and get a new one. I don't want to be on the road and not have power.

The Victron Multiplus 2000W inverter is around $1200, and has a power-assist feature which seems like it could make it easier to run both air conditioners on 30A shore power, if that's a condition you may encounter. The power assist can pull power from the batteries to assist with a load, and once the power draw is stabilized can return to charging the batteries. When I have to replace the old Xantrex Freedom that's probably the one I'll use.

I had a similar problem with my Trace inverter/charger. I bought a new Magnum and as I started the swap I unplugged the Battery Temperature Sensor. As soon as I did that it started back up. Plug it back in and it will shut down. Try unplugging the BTS first. Luckily, I was able to return the Magnum for a full refund. Of course I had to pay the return shipping and insurance.

On 2/4/2023 at 5:31 AM, birdshill123 said:

Tom 48. Which dealer in Q is the multi line shop?

Thanks

The guys who helped me, a lot, were if memory serves, discount solar.    They are on North side of Main St, about the last such shop toward the east end of town