Throttle position sensor fix (EDITED - THREE topics merged) Newer ones Teleflex and Kongsberg System

To those that have this issue with the pedal assembly Gary M. posted above,  it appears that a 2015/2016/and some 2017 Polaris Slingshot's use this Kongsberg Sensor 6543212 (this is the one on my 08 Navigator) that is found on many of these Teleflex pedals in our coaches. It has the same bolt pattern and receives the signal from the rotating magnet on the pedal assembly. Same 6 pin connector as well. It's possible it needs to be calibrated but the sensor part # is the same.

I found this out through extensive searching and contact with an Ebay seller who put me onto it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok to follow up on my post above this. I got my sensor installed from a Polaris Slingshot pedal assembly. The new sensor only works by rotating it the opposite way on the magnet, strangely. I'm a bit baffled by this. Still trying to wrap my head around it.

Edited by Makalu

2 minutes ago, Makalu said:

Ok to follow up on my post above this. I got my sensor installed from a Polaris Slingshot pedal assembly. The years I found that have the sensor are a 2015 and 2016 (and some 2017's). What I failed to realize is the rotation of the magnet on the Polaris is clockwise. And the OEM Teleflex pedal rotates counter-clockwise. This is the same part number of the Kongsberg 6543212 sensor. 

Now I'm wondering if there's a way I can make this new sensor work by switching some wires around?

So what is the cost of the Polaris sensor compared to buying the Kongsburg pedal and sensor?

5 minutes ago, Gary M said:

So what is the cost of the Polaris sensor compared to buying the Kongsburg pedal and sensor?

Gary,

I edited my post to reflect that it does appear to rotate clockwise with both pedals (the oem Teleflex AND the Polaris Slingshot). But what I'm finding is that the magnet orientation inside the sensor must be different so I can only get increased throttle by keeping the sensor unmounted (not bolted in) and manually rotating it.

I need to figure out if I can somehow re-orientate the magnet to the correct idle position or if that's even possible. Or if that's even the issue.

To answer your question, I paid about $125 on ebay for the whole pedal assembly WITH the Kongsberg Sensor 6543212. 

If I can figure this out and it's a viable solution it could very well save many members a large amount of headache and cash.

Ok so I've figured it out. The Polaris Slingshot pedal mounts the sensor in the downward direction. As you see in the picture. By taking that sensor and mounting it in the downward direction on the Teleflex pedals on my Navigator it works! And it makes sense that the mounting direction needs to change because this is the direction the Polaris pedal mounts.

It's possible changing the rotation of the magnet 180 degrees would accomplish this as well. I haven't tried to remove it. But purchasing the Sensor off a Polaris Slingshot and installing it pointing down appears to work.

IMG_5556.jpg

IMG_5557.jpg

2 hours ago, Makalu said:

Ok so I've figured it out. The Polaris Slingshot pedal mounts the sensor in the downward direction. As you see in the picture. By taking that sensor and mounting it in the downward direction on the Teleflex pedals on my Navigator it works! And it makes sense that the mounting direction needs to change because this is the direction the Polaris pedal mounts.

It's possible changing the rotation of the magnet 180 degrees would accomplish this as well. I haven't tried to remove it. But purchasing the Sensor off a Polaris Slingshot and installing it pointing down appears to work.

IMG_5556.jpg

IMG_5557.jpg

John, Thanks for the writeup - I included it in our files.

• Like 1

I have a question I have a 2004 Monaco Dynasty. Does that pedal go back that far and is it plug and Play or do you have to marry to the ECM.. My plan is to order one and keep it in a zip lock bag with instructions just in case for $125.00 it's worth it and thanks for the great infotmation...

33 minutes ago, Michael Powell said:

I have a question I have a 2004 Monaco Dynasty. Does that pedal go back that far and is it plug and Play or do you have to marry to the ECM.. My plan is to order one and keep it in a zip lock bag with instructions just in case for $125.00 it's worth it and thanks for the great infotmation...

You need to check to make sure your coach uses this make/model of throttle assembly.  I believe it is for a coach that has the Konsberg system, which I don't think you have but I may wrong.

On my 2002 Windsor my coach uses the William throttle, see attached.  Yours may be different.   It does have a throttle sensor, but is different and readily available  https://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/williams-control-throttle-pedal-131507/

I have done some digging and THINK I've found a replacement sensor.  I bought one and carry as spare but have not had a need to try it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/285538077211

1 Accelerator Pedal.pdf

Edited by jacwjames

2 minutes ago, jacwjames said:

You need to check to make sure your coach uses this make/model of throttle assembly.  I believe it is for a coach that has the Konsberg system, which I don't think you have but I may wrong.

On my 2002 Windsor my coach uses the William throttle, see attached.  It does have a throttle sensor, but is different and readily available  https://www.nwrvsupply.com/product/williams-control-throttle-pedal-131507/

1 Accelerator Pedal.pdf 37.14 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks I will check this out. Appreciate your help and knowledge...

Michael Powell

Yes this fix posted is for a Teleflex adjustable pedal with the Kongsberg sensor on it. It has 6 wires running into the plug. The part number for the Kongsberg sensor is 6543212.

2 hours ago, Makalu said:

Yes this fix posted is for a Teleflex adjustable pedal with the Kongsberg sensor on it. It has 6 wires running into the plug. The part number for the Kongsberg sensor is 6543212.

Here is the NHTSA recall on the Pedal.  There was an issue with the mouting and they provided a bracket. I was involved with them and helped write up a method for installation that did not require a torque wrench.  You can google more.  Note the date and the year. 

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2010/RCONL-10V284-9614.pdf

Just an update for the Kongsberg sensor. It appears to be working in the short bit of driving I've done with it. Yay!

Second to that, and almost more importantly, where I'm currently staying is a bit north of Houston. Well, I come to find out that Konsgberg has a manufacturing plant 4 miles away in Willis, TX. I stopped by and explained to a nice gentleman with Kongsberg the difficulty all of us RV'ers are having sourcing a replacement sensor. They don't deal direct with consumers but he had good ol Texan friendliness and felt bad for my situation. He gave me his cell phone number as he was headed to lunch. He gave me some very valuable insight though. Essentially saying the OEM sensor is programmed for a dual analog output signal. I asked if there was any possible way I could get this same sensor made for me or if there was an updated part #. His engineering team said it was an old unit and no longer manufactured and are programmed to specific requirements and ultimately sounded a bit hesitant due to liability. But that another dual analog output signal sensor would likely work.

I then sent him a picture of the Polaris Slingshot (Polaris is a large purchaser of theirs) sensor I purchased and explained I had to have it mounted exactly 180 degrees opposite the factory sensor (facing downward on the Teleflex pedal). He was at first concerned it may cause issues but then checking with the engineering team again, he said the serial number off the Polaris sensor was also a dual analog output and that if when the pedal in resting position, and the coach idles as normal (I confirmed with Cummins Insite software 0% throttle at idle), and it revs up to 100% then I should be good to go. It does. 

They also sell a lot to Cat and Club Car but not sure if this sensor is utilized on anything they make for those companies. I haven't bothered to look.