Entry Step not Retracting

We have developed a new issue with our 2000 Diplomat that has me baffled. 

The step will not retract unless the key is in the on position.

Yes, I have flipped the red switch by the door it still will only retracted if the key is on.

Any ideas as to where to start looking would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I won't be able to try any troubleshooting until late May when I am back to the MH but if I could get direction from the vast knowledge base here that would help.

Thanks,  

1 minute ago, Garry Donohue said:

Do you know that there is a switch at the co pilot seat that when turned on, keeps the step from retracting when the key is off? 

I believe you are referring to the red step switch by the door.

Yes I do know about that one and it no longer seems to matter which way that switch is positioned.

Thanks,  

On 3/20/2023 at 11:58 AM, Garry Donohue said:

No there is a switch with all the other switches at the co pilot seat on the right as you are sitting in the seat image.thumb.jpeg.4265658bdf97de88674e82225e5a022c.jpeg

Flip that switch the opposite way, then close the door with the key off and hopefully that will solve it. 

Thanks, I don't have one of those on our coach for the outside step.

That switch on our controls the step cover inside the coach.

16 hours ago, Reka52 said:

Did you check the magnet on the door frame is it still there or has it fallen out of its  holder, had to glue mine back in and all is good

• I did not. Good idea, I will check that next time I am at the rig.
  • Thanks.

21 hours ago, RVSSNAKE said:

That switch on our controls the step cover inside the coach.

I believe @RVSSNAKE several are suggesting perhaps you "red" step switch is bad.  That controls the step being out or in with the ignition off.  The ignition has an interlock over that switch which will cause the step to retract regardless of the "red" step switch position.  Also, does the step open when you open the door with the ignition on?  If it does, then most likely the magnet position switch is ok.  If it doesn't open when you open the door and ignition is on, then good chance it may be the position switch.  All the best.

Edited by Bill R
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bill R said:

I believe @RVSSNAKE several are suggesting perhaps you "red" step switch is bad.  That controls the step being out or in with the ignition off.  The ignition has an interlock over that switch which will cause the step to retract regardless of the "red" step switch position.  Also, does the step open when you open the door with the ignition on?  If it does, then most likely the magnet position switch is ok.  If it doesn't open when you open the door and ignition is on, then good chance it may be the position switch.  All the best.

Thanks Bill, the step does extend and retract when the key is on and door is opened and closed. Is there a way to test the switch with a meter if I pull it out of the dash?

@RVSSNAKE It depends on the type of switch it is.  If it is a ON-OFF basic single throw switch you can pull it out and measure the continuity across the terminals.  If shows continuity and there is no change when you switch it ON-OFF, then you have a shorted switch and that is what is keeping the step from retracting when you close the door.   Do you have a picture of the switch?

1 hour ago, Bill R said:

@RVSSNAKE It depends on the type of switch it is.  If it is a ON-OFF basic single throw switch you can pull it out and measure the continuity across the terminals.  If shows continuity and there is no change when you switch it ON-OFF, then you have a shorted switch and that is what is keeping the step from retracting when you close the door.   Do you have a picture of the switch?

Unfortunately I don’t have a picture and won’t be to the coach till May now. There are a couple of other 2000 Diplomat owners on here maybe we’ll get lucky and one of the post a picture.

• 5 months later...

Circling back around to this topic l posted back in March.

I was able to put a few minutes into troubleshooting and found it was an easy fix.

I started with the source of control and removed the switch plate from the dash.

It was readily apparent that the wires had been shaken loose from the terminals on the back of the switch.

I reconnected them and guess what, it worked.

All the suggestions were great, but I guess the best thing to do is the KISS method and check the switch at issue and make sure the wires are even connected first.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, problem solved.