Help! 05 Holiday rambler 40 PDQ Slide Controller location

• Scotty Hutto changed the title to Help! 05 Holiday rambler 40 PDQ Slide Controller location
55 minutes ago, Will52 said:

Hello all, does anyone know where the curb side controller may be? It's a Schwintek slide Living room Big slide. Thanks in advance.

Read your manual.  Per the Vendor list, you have a  Lippert system in your Endeavor.  

Look on page 178.  The control module is pictured and is in the battery compartment.  Two fuses as well as instructions on manual operation.

2 hours ago, Will52 said:

Thanks Tom This is the first year in this RV we full timed. In a Gasser for five years this is a different animal. 

Trust me….I made the quantum leap also….and still trying to tame the beast.  You’ll get help and learn on your own here.

Thanks

• Like 1

Will, you have a Lippert slide. Schwintek didn't come out till years later and thankfully Monaco never used them.

If there is a slide that is going to give you headaches, it is a Schwintek. They are a royal pain in the neck and one of the worst designs ever. The picture below is a schwintek. From what I was told the motors got out of synch, the limiters failed and the owner held the switch down. The motors getting out of sync is a common occurrence with them. I believe there are 4 motors, one for each corner. We cringe whenever we get one in the shop. They are so bad that if we get one in the shop for repair we send them elsewhere. I simply do not want the liability when the slide develops another issue. Fix one thing and another problem develops and they would blame us. They started putting these on small towables several years ago and have since been adopted by several coach manufacturers. I have seen them on newer diesel pushers.

If you think a hydraulic slide with a couple synch valves or an electric slide with one motor are a headache, try a slide with 4 gears, 4 gear tracks and 4 motors. The engineer that designed the Schwintek should be walked out into the woods and left there.

Slide Failure.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

17 hours ago, Will52 said:

Thanks Tom This is the first year in this RV we full timed. In a Gasser for five years this is a different animal. 

We had a Class C for + 10 years before buying our 2002 Windsor in 2008, so 14 years later I am still learning. 

Luckily the Monacoers.org group is a great resource with a greats parts list and downloads section.

The one recommendation I'd make is to get a copy of the datasheet if you don't have it and use it to start collect as much information on the different components.  I have set up a database on my laptop.  I set up one location with different folders (chassis, house, engine, transmission etc).  Anytime I see something that is pertinent to my coach I save it.  Find copies of your wiring diagram also, luckily I was able to get good PDF copies of house and chassis before Monaco completely folded. 

I also take pictures of everything.  If I start to repair something I take a picture (especially wiring) and have a folder with these in them.  I have pictures of the fuse boxes with labeling, breaker box, and any identification. 

X2 on the Schwintek slide, my wifes friend bought a Thor with this type of slide.  One got out of sync and it took a while on how to figure out how to reset.  I spent several hours researching on the internet and found lots of information on different types of failures.  Never saw one where the slide fell out though. 

Edited by jacwjames

22 hours ago, jacwjames said:

We had a Class C for + 10 years before buying our 2002 Windsor in 2008, so 14 years later I am still learning. 

Luckily the Monacoers.org group is a great resource with a greats parts list and downloads section.

The one recommendation I'd make is to get a copy of the datasheet if you don't have it and use it to start collect as much information on the different components.  I have set up a database on my laptop.  I set up one location with different folders (chassis, house, engine, transmission etc).  Anytime I see something that is pertinent to my coach I save it.  Find copies of your wiring diagram also, luckily I was able to get good PDF copies of house and chassis before Monaco completely folded. 

I also take pictures of everything.  If I start to repair something I take a picture (especially wiring) and have a folder with these in them.  I have pictures of the fuse boxes with labeling, breaker box, and any identification. 

X2 on the Schwintek slide, my wifes friend bought a Thor with this type of slide.  One got out of sync and it took a while on how to figure out how to reset.  I spent several hours researching on the internet and found lots of information on different types of failures.  Never saw one where the slide fell out though. 

Someone must have removed the internal fascia   on the slide and then driven it out. With the fascia installed the slide is far too wide to fall through the opening.

When I redid my flooring in the bedroom and took the bed box loose from the slide I was also surprised at how easy the slide tips out.  I had to support it with a jack and piece of 2X4 so it stayed level for me to work on installing the floor and then reattaching the box. 

I'm sure if someone was working on the slide system and wasn't watching what they were doing they could loose it in a heartbeat. 

That's one advantage to the Power Gear type, electric or hydraulic, the slide is attached to the end of the rack or cylinder and ain't going no where easily.  Plus there is more structure there. 

• Like 1