Loose Steering & Tire Pull 2005 Endeavor Questions

I have a 2005 Holiday Rambler Endeavor We just installed a brand new set of tires driving to south we noticed the the steering wheel is to soft and too smooth tends to verlo go to the right but I feel something wrong maybe is me but I was expecting a little bit more stiff steering wheel 

1 minute ago, vito.a said:

I agree.  First check the tire pressures with the tires cold.  Check the rear also.  Do not trust the tire store.  

What steering box does your coach have, Sheppard or TRW?

I have 295/80R22.5 tires on my rig.  I run the front at 105psi (10 lbs over placard).  I think it helps the wandering and steering in general but does result in harder ride. 

I run the rear ~5psi over. 

How did the rig drive with previous tires, any trouble with wandering or lane deviation?

My tires are Sumitomo 275/70R22.5 Made in Japan tire pressure 105  I think my Gear box has to much play or has air in the lines or something the steering wheel is to soft too loose but turns perfectly 

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Loose Steering & Tire Pull 2005 Endeavor Questions

http://catscale.com/how-to-weigh/  Unless you weigh and adjust tire pressure according to the tire Inflation charts you are only guessing.  Five pounds  too much can be be felt in ride and handling on steers, rears not so much feel.   $13 on a CAT scale... weigh, go park go inside and pay...do not park on the scales.

Tip ... Push the button, They speak Chinese..."firsway? reway?"  Means... First Weigh or RE-weigh  You of course are first weigh...Truck number..any thing you want use 3 digit 123 678 whatever.  When you go to fuel desk  Just say scale ticket truck # 123  company is Private... Pay you$$ and go check your tire inflation chart like this one https://commercial.firestone.com/content/dam/bcs-sites/bridgestone-ex/products/Databooks/TBR/Firestone-TBR-Load-And-Inflation-Tables-08-07-2018.pdf

Maybe not as good as 4 wheel weigh but certainly better than guessing,  air ride coaches seldom vary side to side more than 100 pounds per a guy who does 4 wheel weighs. 

Edited by Twomed

46 minutes ago, Gonzalo said:

My tires are Sumitomo 275/70R22.5 Made in Japan tire pressure 105  I think my Gear box has to much play or has air in the lines or something the steering wheel is to soft too loose but turns perfectly 

First. that IS the correct tire size for your Motor Home Based on the sales Brochure.  The actual correct tire size is 275/70R22.5 Load Range H.  The “H” is very important 

Second, unless you have weighed your rig and know the exact weight on each wheel or “corner”, you are running the INCORRECT PRESSURE and that is TOO LOW.  The FRONT AXLE is rated for 13,000 pounds or 6,500 needed per tire.  Per the Sumitomo Inflation Chart for your Tires, you need 116 PSI to get 6,484 pound or weight rating.  Right now, you only have 90% of the Front Axle. Or 11,760 Pounds.  This could be dangerous.

I personally do NOT trust the cheap digital gauges.  NAPA sells a high quality “long tire gauge” for high pressure truck tires.  I’m sure that any big box house like AutoZone might as well, but I trust the NAPA. Mine was purchased in 2006 and is 100% accurate today based on my high end Tire Pressure Monitoring System,

You need to check the tires early in the morning, unless it is a cloudy day.  Before the sun comes up and you get radiation or sunlight heating.  That is “COLD”.  If the sun goes down then maybe an hour afterwards will also be OK.

As far as “pull goes”, it is sometimes necessary to “swap” the tires and that will eliminate the pull, assuming that the front end is properly aligned.  My OEM Goodyears pulled to the right and the tire shop switched and that cured it.

As to the looseness…..that is very complex.  Ordinarily, a new set of tires, because of more tread and deeper tread will feel “tighter” or have less play.  If you are running that low, and properly inflate the tires, ordinarily the higher pressures will tend to “loosen up” the wheel. But, if you do not know the weight that your front axles is carrying, then you inflate them to the axle rating or 116 PSI.

The play or softness is a topic that needs discussion when you can inspect and identify the steering sector of the box up front.  There are two brands.  Shepherd has more play and can not be adjusted as tightly as the TRW.  It is easy to identify…..when you are home.

O