Neptune 5.9 ISB Exhaust Fell Off (the trip that keeps giving)

(Feel free to merge with headlights thread)

So after getting fuel the 2nd time yesterday I thought,  wow....that turbo sounds pretty good....as  left the station. I didn't notice it sounding like that (maiden trip) earlier in the day, but it had been really windy up until that point.  

Well, today after washing her off at the campground, grabbed the tailpipe to wash and it swung like a playground.  Took off the engine hatch and there it was, the flange to turbo connector on the pipe metal fatigued and broke. Of course it couldn't have happened to the PO on his last trip (where would the fun be in that!?!)

Now, I can easily take the whole thing to an exhaust or truck garage,  but will anyone have a repair flange?

44k on this coach, but it is a 4 bagger so I guess it's had a bumpier life. 

Good news is, my outside TV mount is working perfectly the Voodoo Ranger is cold and Uncle Buck is on.

20230402_114933.jpg

20230402_194045.jpg

20230402_165600.jpg

Edited by Agpopp
Better pics
  • Like 1

Called cummins in Orlando,  he says that exhaust side of turbo is supplied by coach builder. You think a monaco or Rev dealer would be able to locate this part? 

Called REV, 

Part is exhaust pipe to turbo, part number 10845429, 46 days out,  $845. 

Guess I'll call local exhaust shops!

Having reciently spent some time looking for a exhaust clamp, what i found is due to my having a exhaust brake it was VERY difficult finding a clamp that would fit. I will spare you thr details of that adventure to tell you this, If your coach does have a exhaust brake go to that website of its Mfg. As i checked out its site i discovered that due to its design shape that they also sell the short pipes with the specific size flange, that when taken to a exhaust shop can weld it on to the either remaing pipe our on to a specific one turn elbow which then clamps on to your muffler inlet. If you dont have a exhaust brake then it may be like you say Mfg. Specific

I believe my brake is a Pacbrake, the difference in flange type is very apparent, having years ago worked on the cummins big cam engines those turbo flanges have much more surface are that mates with the back of the turbo… good luck an let the voodoo ranger come to your rescue😂 my  friend makes his Budwiser🎉😎F774D044-1EA4-444F-904F-1AFB4D6CA8B4.thumb.jpeg.2a9e6dfb2be9533cf6fb4f3b59f730d4.jpeg

Guest Ray Davis

On a previous MH with a Cat engine, I had that flange break off, I couldn't find one so I had a local welding shop weld it back on.  I was a little concerned but it lasted for years until I got rid of the coach.

BTW,  look at the arm on this young man in the first picture.  Looks like Popeye.  All images I'm wearing long sleeves from now on.

Found a fitting that may work from Grand Rock Exhaust Company. I'm looking for a Walker Exhaust brand also, those are available at Napa. 

Screenshot_20230403_120838.jpg

Called around today to hedge my bet and see if any exhaust shops could make the flange. Not 1 out of about 20 calls. Even called Jossams. So I guess I wait and hope my part makes it from Miami. I also ordered a butt joint band clamp so I can cut it here and clamp for the trip home them get it welded later. 

On 4/2/2023 at 8:10 PM, Agpopp said:

Good news is, my outside TV mount is working perfectly the Voodoo Ranger is cold and Uncle Buck is on.

Hi Andrew,

Can you tell me more about your TV mount?

Hope the rest of your trip is trouble free😀.

Casey

3 hours ago, clkimmel said:

Hi Andrew,

Can you tell me more about your TV mount?

Hope the rest of your trip is trouble free😀.

Casey

Sure, I just made it last week.

2 pieces of 1x1/8 aluminum band, bent with 2 90s and 2 holes drilled in each one to line up with the tv mount. I did add some felt strips to the horizontal section and some rubber bumpers on the screw head as well as polish the aluminum a little. 

I added some flex loom today and it just hangs on the baggage door. The TV doesn't weigh anything so I'm not worried about the door. I ran the cables up through the access port in this bay because there is an outlet and cable hookup there already.  

20230404_163357.jpg

20230404_163404.jpg

20230404_163312.jpg

Edited by Agpopp
Better description

Picked up the parts this morning and have it fixed for now. It feels pretty solid,  so hoping this could be a semi permanent fix. 

What a silly thing to derail a trip for a 2 inch long 40 dollar part! Thanks to Truck City chrome shop in Orlando for tracking this down for me! 

20230407_094902.jpg

20230407_094907.jpg

20230407_094944.jpg

Made it home 1000 miles just fine with my new flange and a stainless amazon band clamp. In fact it may be the permanent fix! 5.9 ISB owners should consider these 2 parts as a good carry spare, the exhaust on the 5.9 and 6.7 are known to break there after I have done some research. Thanks for all the replies. 

Edited by Agpopp

On 4/11/2023 at 7:11 PM, Agpopp said:

Made it home 1000 miles just fine with my new flange and a stainless amazon band clamp. In fact it may be the permanent fix! 5.9 ISB owners should consider these 2 parts as a good carry spare, the exhaust on the 5.9 and 6.7 are known to break there after I have done some research. Thanks for all the replies. 

Thanks for the tip.  I will file that info.

• Thanks 1