What are these?

Joelwood
Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

Hello Everyone!

I've been a member of the site for a little while now, and this is my first post as well as my first DP. I have poured over the information and advice shown and am impressed by the depth of knowledge shown by your members. However, I think I'm in a small minority of Classic Monaco DP owners as mine is a 1993 40' Signature Series Crown Royale. I see very little regarding a coach as old as mine but am in hopes that someone can help. After removing the winter cover and reinstalling the batteries I noticed these "one time circuit breakers" (I think) mounted on the ceiling of the battery bay. Am I correct in thinking that they are non-resettable circuit breakers? Obviously the one in the upper left of the photo has failed and been bypassed by a PO. Any ideas where I could find a replacement and what the rating might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Circuit Breakers.jpg

It looks like the center pin would pop out if overloaded and those are in serious need of replacement. It would be unlikely to be fuses. What a mess. 

• Solution

Yes….they looked like oversized pin style breakers.  No sure about the screw slot (maybe my eyes).  Pull battery cables and take them out.  Clean up and check for amp rating.  Replace with auto resettable if they are maybe 50 or lower.  If higher, maybe then the lever reset style…

The Crown’s were almost custom.  Great MH.  You will enjoy.

• Like 1

I removed the bad one, cleaned it up and took it apart. Has a bi-metal disk that was loose inside. Looks as though there was a phenolic washer that originally held the disk to the adjustment screw. that washer was broken into several pieces and along with the disc had fallen into the bottom of the cavity. After cleaning it up I found some markings that helped me identify the manufacturer and the rating. Did a quick Google search and found the identical piece in stock at Johnson's Surplus LLC right here in Michigan. Will have 3 replacements in a couple of days. Thanks all for your comments and advice!!

20230412_180416.jpg

20230412_180141.jpg

Screenshot_20230412-194258.png

• Like 2

Tom Cherry,

What did you mean when you said,

"The Crown’s were almost custom."  Just curious 🙂

58 minutes ago, Joelwood said:

Tom Cherry,

What did you mean when you said,

"The Crown’s were almost custom."  Just curious 🙂

MEMORY....and this is from a long ago history.  At ONE time, and we had at least 3 or 4 members with them, the Crown's were built on Prevost Chassis and NOT on the Roadmaster.  Thus, they were a TRUE "Bus Conversion".

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/1995-97-monaco-hierarchy-105908.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/1990-monaco-crown-royale-signature-series-project-coach-498547.html

HOWEVER....it looks like Monaco did some "Experimenting"....and yours MAY be on a chassis of unknown origin....  There is a LONG history or Monaco and Chrysler (Roadmaster?) Chassis.  

You can do a lot of googling and find out more.  Still, the MH back then were probably put together with more "experienced" assemblers than the later ones.

Hope this helps....it also fills in a little history for me....so, once again, a "Blanket" statement about Monaco is more of a pipe dream than reality...

• Like 1

Just so you don't feel alone out...

I am full time in my 1993, Crown Royal Signature Series, as I work my way through a divorce. 300 Cummins and she is a grand old machine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Garage Monster!! She looks nice!

Now I don't feel so alone 🙂 We ought to compare notes! would love to see more pics. Let me know if you'd like to connect, I'll send my phone number.

Tom Cherry,

Mine has a Roadmaster chassis tag. Could you tell more if I shared a pic of it?

Thanks again everyone!!