Entry door dead bolt lock

My entry door dead bolt lock is binding up and no amount of lubrication will get it working smoothly. Does anyone no the supplier of the dead bolt mechanism (lock) and possible part number?

2009 Monaco Dynasty

Ray Murley

Hi Ray

I have from my 09 Camelot several parts, when you need something from this pictures I can sell to you. Please email my at vilsis (at) vilsis (dot) net. 

Ray Vils

0609201339_Burst01[1].jpg

Hi Ray

I just repaired the deadbolt on my 1995 Executive.  I was able to make some parts from a couple of Schlage locks work in my old lock.

It appears that most, if not all, of the deadbolts on Monaco units were supplied by Schlage.  I think that all of the deadbolts were the same at least on the pre 2008 units.  I found some of them in a Google search for" Monaco rv deadbolt lock".  There are a lot of responses.  When I was looking I found one that advertised "Monaco Deadbolts".  It was more expensive than most of the locks I found.  However, it might have fit better. 

Good luck!!!!

HStoterau

• Like 1

Mine had some issues but it was just a problem with the strike plate being beat up from the bolt  being extended at times when shutting the door that bent the plate.  After fixing the bent plate I've had no issues, not sure if that's your issue or something in the lock itself.

Roadmiester

09 Dynasty Regal IV

Guest Tim503

I've been looking for the inside plate which is about 4 x 3 with a hole in it. The problem with these is they broke the side window and turned the lock from the inside. I'm going to double key the lock even though i know it could make a death trap if the key is not in the lock.

I need the upper linkage for the hold open feature. My father shoved the door closed when he checked it after the break in and saw the door stuck open. He then called me and said he got the door closed and how hard it was to close. Bent the hell out of the linkage. Thanks Dad.

Dead bolt lock update

I replaced the dead bolt lock with a new one  purchased from Rainer Vilsis and all is well.

Someone posted that they were going to replace their dead bolt with a double keyed one (keyed inside and out).  PLEASE DON’T DO THIS. If you have seen videos of how quickly a motor home fire spreads you won’t have time to fumble with a key to get out. You can’t have anything so valuable in your coach worth risking your life.

Ray Murley

2009 Dunasty

Guest Tim503
10 hours ago, rtmurley said:

Dead bolt lock update

I replaced the dead bolt lock with a new one  purchased from Rainer Vilsis and all is well.

Someone posted that they were going to replace their dead bolt with a double keyed one (keyed inside and out).  PLEASE DON’T DO THIS. If you have seen videos of how quickly a motor home fire spreads you won’t have time to fumble with a key to get out. You can’t have anything so valuable in your coach worth risking your life.

Ray Murley

2009 Dunasty

You do know that the bedroom window is a fire escape. If you ever have someone break the passenger window to reach in and open the door you will realize the futility and false sense of security you have with your deadbolt. It would be nice if people on here were not so judgemental. I'm capable of staying alive. Do I need to prove it? I want to remind you that if I'm in the motorhome I can leave the key in the lock but when I am away then it will prevent the theif from exiting through the door. Do you want to discus guns now?  I don't use them. I can imagine what you would say if I change my windows to unbreakable glass and put a solid door on my bedroom as a safe room.

Oh boy. Double keyed deadbolt doesn’t sound like a sound plan. If you have that much trouble/concern with break-ins maybe a different choice of places to stay is in order. 

Edited by Chargerman

I have a 95 dynasty and I am the only one that can open the door from the outside.  Its a technique of pulling the handle and also pulling on the door at just the right time for it to open.  The door opens easily from the inside.   From the outside, lots of people pull on the handle and just assume its locked because it does not seem to activate the latch.  Anyone have any idea what might be wrong with it? Also, the two PDF files in the post up above look very similar to mine.  Any idea if they are the same for my year model?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Jim Bob, Veraken has posted two files that might help with your door issue: "Door Adjustment-Entrance" and "Door Bushing Replacement and Latch". Your door maybe out of adjustment causing your issues.

Ray Murley

2009 Dynasty

• 3 weeks later...

Ray - I fought this opening the door problem from the outside until it got to the point I couldn't routinely open the door for my wife. I had previously lubed, adjusted, tech adjusted, etc. I finally took the door apart & found the latching bushing had completely worn out & was now AWOL! I mostly followed the advice of the "Door Bushing Replacement & Latch file "Before" the ACE Hardware bushing revision was added, I ended up turning my own bushing & now anyone can easily open the door unless it is locked! My wife is so happy! (Me Too!).  Just a little time consuming, but not a difficult project. Be sure to have a person help you with the door window, as purchasing a replacement for that is expensive in comparison to a small bushing. Wish I had attempted to tackled the project months ago!

Bart from VA                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   07 HR 42 PLQ

• 3 years later...
On 6/25/2020 at 11:03 AM, rtmurley said:

Jim Bob, Veraken has posted two files that might help with your door issue: "Door Adjustment-Entrance" and "Door Bushing Replacement and Latch". Your door maybe out of adjustment causing your issues.

Ray Murley

2009 Dynasty

Although he posted the two files which show the parts diagram, nowhere do I see the diagram numbers showing the actual part number. Is there a page missing?