2006 Signature Commander IV Solar

Discover 17

We are looking in to upgrading our original solar components on our (new to us) coach. We currently have (as state to me) the one solar panel and two add flat panel. Not sure what amps or voltage of the panels. We have 8,  6 volt LifeTime 300 amp batteries (not sure how old) where the propane tank was originally located. I am wondering if anyone know where the Solar Controler/ Charger is located which is connected with the Aladdin system. Are the controller and charger separate, or do they run through the Magnum Inverter/ Charger?

That all being said, what step would one go to upgrade our system? Any knowledge and experience or expertise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Monaco usually installed one 12V 100-watt solar panel and a Heliotrope RV-45D PWM charge controller. 

The Heliotrope charge controller is in the ceiling of the main basement compartment under the plywood cover.  

You can go wild and replace everything with 2000+ watts of panels and a new MPPT charge controller along with larger wiring.  Or you can just replace the single 100-watt panel with up to three 225 watt 12-volt panels and retain your Heliotrope charge controller.   

Your Heliotrope charge controller charges both your house and chassis battery and has a capacity of up to 45 amps.  

Please understand that even three 225-watt panels are not going to provide much useable power.  

Good luck!

Edited by vito.a

Hopefully Ivan @Ivan K may chime in,

He had a recent post and I believe he left the original solar controller in place and used it for the chassis battery.  He then installed a set (not sure how many or wattage) higher voltage panels and only used the wire for the new panels sending the higher voltage back to where his batteries were and then putting the controller there. 

This seemed like a very good option and have kept it in the back of my cavernous mind thinking that I would probably do it that way if I were to try and upgrade.  I currently have 3 solar panels, the original 85 watt, and two 125 watt ( this is not optimal as they should have been sized the same wattage and voltage).  I believe the wire from my controller to the batteries is 8 awg which is good for 30 amp but I am pretty much maxed out.  But if I could use the one wire to send a higher voltage back to my rear electrical bay I could put in a new controller pushing as much back to the batteries as possible.