Painting roof w/ Rustoleum Topside

I am anticipating doing my roof in the next month so this post is timely. I did not think there would be much difference from a heat gain perspective between gloss and semi-gloss but according to https://pickypens.com/the-ultimate-semi-gloss-vs-gloss-comparison/ gloss paint is about 30% more light reflective than semi-gloss so I am thinking it should also reduce some heat gain better than semi-gloss. I do not know if there have been any definitive studies on variation in cleaning, although the same article states that, at least for indoor paint, gloss is more durable and more easily cleaned than semi-gloss. but I would suspect semi-gloss may have somewhat better slip resistance. I could not find any comments specific to Rustoleum Topsail but based on the one article and the fact that there is no significant cost saving one over the other, I will go with Gloss.

Yes…this TOPIC really pertains to METAL roofs, but I thought that  Monaco, on some entry levels…and I MAY BE WRONG, used a rubber EPDM roof.  If someone DOES have an EPDM, then be aware that the discussion here is NOT PERTINENT to EPDM.

I was responsible for Roofing in a former life and had, at one time, 30 plants.  We centralized the Roofing programs and had two consultants that evaluated roofs and established annual maintenance programs as well as planning for replacement.  My overall budget exceeded $2 Million annually.

I learned a lot…but I also learned about paints and sealers and such.  Both consultants agreed that “TopCoat” was the best coating for an EPDM roof.  The company that formulated it was purchased and swallowed up into GAF.  BUT, the Paint is still a major part of their line.

Here is a screen shot of it. The Commercial roofing distributors like ABC Supply and others always stock it.  

If I had an EPDM roof, the first thing would be to inspect, recaulk, fix punctures and then paint it.  Then every 5 years….recoat.  We were able to extend the life of many neglected EPDM roofs by common sense and maintenance.

Just passing this on….

IMG_1141.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 1nolaguy said:

I could not find any comments specific to Rustoleum Topsail but based on the one article and the fact that there is no significant cost saving one over the other, I will go with Gloss.

Well, there's about $25 difference between the two for 4 quarts.

It appears to be a fairly labor intensive job to do it properly, so I wouldn't want to be dissatisfied with the final result just to save a few $ !

• Like 1

96 EVO, my quick look on line did not show quite that much difference but no matter. I agree with you, for a project that will likely take me more than one day, start to finish, I would not want to make a mistake to save a few bucks. Been there done that..........

DTom, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. If I had an EPDM that information would likely end my speculation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Is everyone using white gloss Rustoleum paint?

Anyone used Semi-gloss?

I used the semi gloss for the Windsor roof.  I painted this late 2021 shown in the first picture, 2023 picture at ~2 years.  It still looks good today.  You can see the color/shine on the new AC units I installed. 

I used gloss for the AC shroud I painted last year, it is brighter/shiny but not that much different.

Roof.jpg

roof 2 years old.jpg

Edited by jacwjames
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 96 EVO said:

Is everyone using white gloss Rustoleum paint?

Anyone used Semi-gloss?

I used white gloss last fall. 2 quarts and 1 court of primer. If you choose the primer be aware that the fillers gel on the bottom, so it needs to be shaken and stirred well. I am very happy how it turned out and no more white streaks after it rains.

I had not treated my roof with anything for several years.  I sues a small pressure washer with a rotary concrete cleaning head, it worked great to get the roof clean.  In tight areas I used a standard nozzle.  Got the roof very clean, let it dry over night.  Then sanded with 100 grit paper.  Taped off the exterior paint line and went to town with a foam roller.  Did a second coat the next day.   Not sure it could be done in a day just because of the dry time.  I did the painting with inside the garage. 

• Like 1