Painting roof w/ Rustoleum Topside

It’s time to refresh the roof & after reading a number of posts it seems like the Rustoleum Topside product is a solid solution. My question: Is it okay to paint over the Dicor self-leveling sealant or simply paint up to the edge of the sealant? The sealant is in great shape & I’m not planning to remove it. Thanks!

It’s ok to get paint on the Dycor but it will crack over time. Not a big deal, just kind of ugly. Try to paint up to it but don’t loose sleep if you get paint on it. 

• Like 2

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/rustoleum-fiberglass-paint-478433-2.html

Do some googling.  I assume you are doing this to cut down on the streaks.  If you have any issues on top, address them first.  Some have sealed the seams with Eternabond.  If so, use their heavy roller and clean…CLEAN….  One of the comments was “sanding”. 

I would do some phoning or emailing Rustoleum and DiCor.  Both are good vendors and will usually be very helpful.  If all you are doing is trying to prevent chalking, my initial advice would be….don’t paint the sealer.  Sand or prepare the surface up to it and mask it off.  Then, after the paint cures for a while (maybe a week, extend a 1” or so overlap from the original sealer to the painted surface…or “touch up the sealer”.  

ODDS ARE…, the sealer will easily adhere to the paint…so Dicor’s advice should be the final one.  NOW, if the Rustoleum can be used over an EPDM roof….then paint away as any coating (DiCor makes one) that will adhere to EPDM will be OK for the sealer…

39 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

He own's a Dynasty!

He doesn't have a EPDM roof!!

Yes.  I KNOW that. However, the sealant he has was specifically formulated for “Lap Sealing” an EPDM roof.  BINGO, folks also discovered that it works well on Fiberglass.  So, he needs to know if the Rustoleum product is OK for an EPDM roof, since the sealant (lap joints) as formulated for a rubber roof.

There are many “off label” uses for such….and using the DiCor is common and i have done that as Fantastic Fan ran tested and supplied and recommended it for the “Dome” warranty replacement kits. I liked it,  many others do also.  it is actually mixed with my original GeoCell (or Proflex) and it crosslinks great.  It is more self leveling.

My POINT.  Check on the compatibility with Rustoleum for an EPDM…if OK, then it will be OK for an EPDM formulated sealant,  Same deal with DiCor….ask them.

Better to ask that make a big mess…. I never said nor implied (or meant to) that he had a EPDM roof….but he has specialized sealant for that.

Hope this clears it up…

I did this about 1.5 years ago. I have a 36 ft Camelot and it took a little less than 1 qt/ coat and I did 2 coats. Fixed any old dicor (I replaced with Heng's leveling not included in time.) 1 day prep (power wash, scuff with orbital sander, power wash again (low power 1700 psi both times) and mask painted areas.) Day 2 day apply with 4 inch roller and brush. dry 24 hours. day 3 apply 2nd coat. Let dry 24 hrs. Day 4 spend 15 mins removing masking.

Painted over some dicor and Heng's, no problems yet. Paint goes down quick and easy, just plan your escape off the roof! No streaks and roof looks 10 years newer. Used  2 inch painters tape to let me run onto the tape with the topcoat and get a clean edge. Prep was the hardest part but important for best adhesion. Supposed to last 7 years. Just need to find a 3-4 day window with no rain.

l would do it again in a minute. Hated those streaks from the deteriorating gel coat.

good luck.

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm planning on doing mine this year, but the paint is crazy expensive up here!

There are cheaper paints available, but the results I've seen, and read about with the Topside, may as well bite the bullet!

Edited by 96 EVO

I am following this particular post closely as I too need to paint our Safari Cheetah for the first time. The roof is aluminum sheet painted with OEM finish. From what I have read Topseal is preferred over finishes liker Henry's and other elastomeric or silicone based finishes that are apparently made for rubber roofs. Our roof has both  Eternabond tape and Dicor self-leveling sealant used on it. This raises two questions:

1) If I paint with Topseal up to the Eternabond and Dicor should I use a separate product to top coat these products. Both the tape and sealant are in good shape as they were put down about 4 years ago and while they look good I want to protect them as well.

2) Does it make a difference if I use gloss or semi-gloss Topseal? I am thinking semi-gloss would be slightly better for slip resistance but am not sure with regard to minimizing heat gain and reducing dirt build up is the gloss better?

34 minutes ago, 1nolaguy said:

What type/brand of paint did you use?

On the Eternabond?

I used a general purpose outdoor spray paint (Krylon Fusion). Just had a little patch to do on top of my front cap, so sprayed a few coats of gloss black on a strip before applying.

Edited by 96 EVO

On 5/24/2023 at 7:37 PM, 96 EVO said:

I'm planning on doing mine this year, but the paint is crazy expensive up here!

There are cheaper paints available, but the results I've seen, and read about with the Topside, may as well bite the bullet!

You only need a couple quarts to do 2 coats, as I recall.  How expensive is it?

2 years ago, you couldn't get it shipped to California.  I had a hard time finding it.  Found some 'hidden'  stock at Lowes and since I knew the manager there, they sold it to me.  I think it was $10/quart back then.      You can get it shipped to California now, but the price is $25/qt. USD.

Edited by windsorbill06

I did mine +2 years ago with the Topside paint.  I used a little more then 2 quarts.  I just painted right over the lap sealant around all the vents/fixtures.  I was on the roof earlier this week and I didn't see any problem with these areas.   The roof sill looks good, not sure when/if it will have to be done again but I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. 

Roof.jpg

19 hours ago, windsorbill06 said:

You only need a couple quarts to do 2 coats, as I recall.  How expensive is it?

2 years ago, you couldn't get it shipped to California.  I had a hard time finding it.  Found some 'hidden'  stock at Lowes and since I knew the manager there, they sold it to me.  I think it was $10/quart back then.      You can get it shipped to California now, but the price is $25/qt. USD.

About $75 a quart.

I thought I'd need about 4.

1 hour ago, 1nolaguy said:

Jacwjames - Oh that I had a great garage to park in like yours!

I didn't have a garage for the first 23 years I owned an RV.

Built a new house with enough room to build a garage in 2020/21.   Glad I did, not only for the Windsor but for me🤑

I had limited area to build but got a 40X50X16' garage, wish it could have been bigger.  I have a 16' X 50' area for the coach and then I build a 24X26' workshop with storage area on top which also give me easy access to the roof, I have ramp that I can put across and just walk onto the roof. 

I did as much work myself, excavation, concrete forms, rebar work. prep for electrical and plumbing, then ~60 yd of concrete and crew to finish, cost ~$25K

The building cost ~$42K in 2020 when I placed the order, by the time the finished getting it up in Feb 2021 it would have cost +$52K (talk about inflation).

The rest of the cost for the internal shop, electrical etc was $12K.  

So I've got ~$89K into it (a fraction of what my wife spends on her dogs!!!)

IMG_2044.JPG

IMG_2200.JPG

Edited by jacwjames
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I can't use Rustoleum Topside because I have a rubber roof, but I've been working on repainting it with Henry's Tropicool. Had to stop for rain the other day, so when I got back up there today I checked roof surface temps with the IR thermometer. 

Ambient temp was 90F, full south FL sun. Area coated with Henry's Tropicool was 95-98F. Old coating was 120-125F. 

I also coated the rear AC cover but forgot the front AC cover until I had painted past it.  Both ACs had been running for a while, front AC cover was 125F over the rear section, 115 over the front. Coated AC cover was 113F over the rear section, 100 over the front. The rear section is where the external fan is blowing air through the hot coils, the front is where the cold coils are but they're inside a metal box, not directly under the cover.

IMG_0289.thumb.jpeg.ea3f9b3fc9df50cae01f468d0cb28db3.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/27/2023 at 6:18 AM, 96 EVO said:

About $75 a quart.

I thought I'd need about 4.

Don't think it would take 4 but would problely take about 3.25-3.5. My 36ft took about 1.8qt for 2 coats. It covers well and goes a long way.

Check  Walmart for 2067000 it's still $61ca/qt but it's a little better. They seem to have some in canada. Home Depot was very expensive. This is 27/qt in the us from Amazon.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...